Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won this Lawrence Lines gp7 in an on line auction. The gp7 is cast brass and bronze and was produced in the 1950-51 era and made in Santa Monica California by Lawrence Lines. From what I understand they are rare. I started by cleaning the flash off the shell and frame. I will be using Athearn trucks and motor. So far I milled the cross members out of brass that will be soldered to the frame.

Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi blackz28, I have just started this build and will be posting more pictures as I progress. I do not work on it every day so it will be several days in between updates.

However here are some pictures of a previous build on a brass Tenshodo GP 20. To give you an idea of what it may look like. The first picture is what it looked like when I bougt it and when it was completed.
Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I drilled the two cross bars with a #41 .095" drill bit and used a piece of brazzing rod which is .094" and the same size as the Athearn pin. The pin was soldered using Silver solder which uses a much higher temperture than regular solder. Then the two cross bars were soldered on the frame with regular solder. The spacing between the frame and the bar is .730 of an inch. That gave me .032 of an inch clearance between the truck and the frame when mounted on the pin. I found a copy of an original catolog on line that Jim Heckard has posted. The Lawrence GP7 was a kit and you could purchace parts seperatly or the whole kit. Just for fun, the price of the parts I have are the upper shell was $10.00 and the frame was $12.00 for a total of $22.00. Then I looked up what it would be in todays dollars and was shocked to see it was worth $237.60.
Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
That’s not what it’s worth....that is just what it would cost to buy brand new in today’s dollars.....big difference between cost and worth.....

Something is only “worth” what someone would be willing to spend on it......so it was worth $22 to you......:whistle:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of course it is not worth $237.60. My point is $22.00 was a lot of money for those 2 pieces back in 1950.
Ed

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A piece of 1/8" brass has been soldered to the side tanks in preporation for the motor iinstall. I cut a piece of 1/8" basswood to mount between the brass base and the motor to isolate it from the frame. The plastic frame of the motor was taped for 2-56 threads. After carfull measuring I drilled the basswood for the 4 screws. Then I drilled the 4 holes in the brass base and counter sunk the 4 holes. All my measuring was correct, the motor attached with the 4 screws and lined up perfect. All drilling was done on my milling machine with a digital readout.
Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone here have a Lawrence Line GP 7 ? If so could you post a picture of it?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The molded head lights have been milled off on the front and rear. And new precision scale # 3973 have been installed on the front and rear. I also installed front and rear facing horns # 100 from Aristo Craft.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
This level of detail on locos and rolling stock is not something I aspire to. That said, I do enjoy seeing stuff like this. So many different ways to immerse yourself in this hobby.

Pretty work Ed!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The fan grills are installed along with the drop down grab irons I made using .020 bronze wire. And the sun shades over the cab windows are soldered on.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
That looks really, really good. It's a shame to paint it but you don't see too many gold colored locomotives in the real world.

That level of detail puts even the Europeans to shame.

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
Unfortunately for brass, plastic models now-a-days have just as much, if not more, fine detailing, for much less cost.....that’s really brought the pricey brass values down.....a lot.....

And of course, when you go to paint brass, it had better be done professionally....I’ve seen brass pieces absolutely ruined by shoddy paint jobs.....

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That looks really, really good. It's a shame to paint it but you don't see too many gold colored locomotives in the real world.
Hi MichaelE,
Glad you like the the build I am doing. And thank you for the kind words and positive comment.
Ed

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ordered a Decoder Buddy Mini made by Nixtrains. I have never used one before and after installing it on top of the motor with some thick double back tape it made for a neat installation. I hooked up the motor and the 4 wires for the trucks and tested it on the track. With just the factory setting in the decoder it ran really nice. The decoder I am using is a 21 pin Digitrax DH166MT.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts