Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I step out and buy a book on layouts for 20 bucks, I'm trying to find something free! I'm in the process of building a layout that is along the wall (two feet out) that has turn a rounds on both ends like a dog bone so to speak. Any free resources out there?

Allen

·
Registered
345 Posts
Before I step out and buy a book on layouts for 20 bucks, I'm trying to find something free! I'm in the process of building a layout that is along the wall (two feet out) that has turn a rounds on both ends like a dog bone so to speak. Any free resources out there?

Allen
Lots of threads on here with some really fantastic layouts. Try the search bar.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Allen...that is pretty much how my layout started out (I have since added quite a bit to it). I don't know how you want to configure it, or how much space you have, but say 3 sheets of plywood would go a LONG ways. If you cut two in half the long way, that would be four 2' X 8' pieces to go along walls. The third one could be cut in half the short way and give you two 4' X 4' pieces to be used as turnarounds at each end. Each turnaround could have a 22" radius for smooth turns. You could fit a nice yard on one of the 2' X 8's to give you easy reaching to all railcars.

If you are wondering about an actual track plan, I would guess the possibilities are endless. I would include a turntable somewhere in the plan for parking engines around. Good luck!

Chad

·
Registered
345 Posts
Allen,

Check out the Thor site for lots of train layout ideas ... all scales, big, small, etc.

http://www.thortrains.net/

Also, lots of members here give a big thumbs-up to the AnyRail track layout software. You can download a free working demo version.

http://www.anyrail.com/index_en.html

Cheers,

TJ
TJ. It's amazing how such a horrible web site could be so awesome. It looks like Thor trains got that site for free from their ISP:laugh:

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
i'll simply tell you what my layout is
it is a 4'x8' table with an oval and a yard that is two side tracks that branch off the main and is quietly nestled in a snowy winter wonderland.
not much but nice

1 - 8 of 8 Posts