Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Maybe it’s just me but I would be worried to see one of my models hit that concrete floor below. That or the car that’s there. I can also appreciate that you built a layout with what I’m guessing is the space you had so no complaints here. I bought my house specifically to have a layout room as well as a work shop in a separate room so I haven’t had the space issue fortunately

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Every time I climb up there I always have that fear but it a lot safer than it looks. I wish to have a short little mega fence that goes around the side to protect it if something does derail and fall. I park my train on the spot closest to the wall so that if something goes ary it just lays against the wall. I got kicked out of my room with it because of the large amount of space it took up 😆. It’s pretty awesome and it’s my only hobby that my dad supports and takes interest in which is always nice to have. I need more buildings for it though and it’s sort of hard to find the right spot for it anyways.

·
Registered
9,345 Posts
You might consider using plexiglass as a guard rail to keep your
rolling stock from falling to certain death.

Also, since your tracks will be exposed to dust and
moisture from outside air anytime
the garage door is open, you may want to get a 'track cleaning'
car to assure smooth electrical contact. Or you could use a
clean scrub pad with a few drops of alcohol if you can easily
reach the entire layout.

Don

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You might consider using plexiglass as a guard rail to keep your
rolling stock from falling to certain death.

Also, since your tracks will be exposed to dust and
moisture from outside air anytime
the garage door is open, you may want to get a 'track cleaning'
car to assure smooth electrical contact. Or you could use a
clean scrub pad with a few drops of alcohol if you can easily
reach the entire layout.

Don
I already have some some cleaning liquid and an old sock. I would like to get a cleaning car but I bought a new engine and that cleanings my wallet out down to a matter of quarters. Plexiglass might be expensive idk I’ve never looked into it. That would be really nice though as I’ve seen many examples and it seems as if it’s almost not there. Great material

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My last layout was a 4x8 sheet of plywood I built a frame for and hinged it to fold in half then bolt together to put it away. It did the job. I’ll attach the only picture I have of it. Please excuse me for being shirtless lol
I don’t mind, that’s really neat. Lots of cool things can be done with even a 4x8 it’s just a matter of the imagination. Nice work

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ok , yes that is a first ; the love of trains, I agree with others it is a accident waiting to happen , let alone falling off your ladder on to your car.

Looks like when I get my website up after the first of the year- I'm still behind , I'll post some space savers layout design's - that I do for my clients. .

I'm going to get off here and have a cup of tea - My friend- your post -left me scratching my head this morning.
Have a great day.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok , yes that is a first ; the love of trains, I agree with others it is a accident waiting to happen , let alone falling off your ladder on to your car.

Looks like when I get my website up after the first of the year- I'm still behind , I'll post some space savers layout design's - that I do for my clients. .

I'm going to get off here and have a cup of tea - My friend- your post -left me scratching my head this morning.
Have a great day.

Have a great day.
It’s actually a quite sturdy thing of a ladder and I normally just stand on the ring that my head lines up with the engine. Warming up to it now it’s surprisingly safer than it looks. Have a nice day to you too.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Every time I climb up there I always have that fear but it a lot safer than it looks. I wish to have a short little mega fence that goes around the side to protect it if something does derail and fall. I park my train on the spot closest to the wall so that if something goes ary it just lays against the wall. I got kicked out of my room with it because of the large amount of space it took up 😆. It’s pretty awesome and it’s my only hobby that my dad supports and takes interest in which is always nice to have. I need more buildings for it though and it’s sort of hard to find the right spot for it anyways.

HOtrainnewbie;

You could have more railroad than a circle of track if you went to a shelf layout along the walls of your garage, or maybe even back in your room. My own layout is a shelf type, mounted to two walls of my garage. The deeper end sections are 36" deep, but most of the railroad is only 18" deep. Granted, my layout is N-scale, and you are using HO-scale, so your end loops will need to be bigger with a 48" minimum depth. (That's one of the disadvantages of the larger scale :sick: )
My layout is also a "Bookshelf" design, with a long storage shelf above the railroad. This might be a "selling feature" to other family members. They will gain storage space, while you gain a bigger railroad. The photos below show the basic bookshelf idea.

In your own photo, it looks like you are using Bachmann EZ-Track. If that's true, when/if you expand your layout, I recommend you switch to a better brand of track. Bachmann's track is "sorta ok", though just barely, but the Bachmann EZ-Track "turnouts" (track switches) are the absolute pits! They have a very bad reputation for causing derailments and just plan breaking down. If you like the "roadbed track", with the locking plastic base under each track section, Kato Unitrack is a much better choice, both track and turnouts are very reliable.

Good Luck & Have Fun;

Traction Fan

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HOtrainnewbie;

You could have more railroad than a circle of track if you went to a shelf layout along the walls of your garage, or maybe even back in your room. My own layout is a shelf type, mounted to two walls of my garage. The deeper end sections are 36" deep, but most of the railroad is only 18" deep. Granted, my layout is N-scale, and you are using HO-scale, so your end loops will need to be bigger with a 48" minimum depth. (That's one of the disadvantages of the larger scale :sick: )
My layout is also a "Bookshelf" design, with a long storage shelf above the railroad. This might be a "selling feature" to other family members. They will gain storage space, while you gain a bigger railroad. The photos below show the basic bookshelf idea.

In your own photo, it looks like you are using Bachmann EZ-Track. If that's true, when/if you expand your layout, I recommend you switch to a better brand of track. Bachmann's track is "sorta ok", though just barely, but the Bachmann EZ-Track "turnouts" (track switches) are the absolute pits! They have a very bad reputation for causing derailments and just plan breaking down. If you like the "roadbed track", with the locking plastic base under each track section, Kato Unitrack is a much better choice, both track and turnouts are very reliable.

Good Luck & Have Fun;

Traction Fan
I do look forward to expanding somehow but my garages are used so heavily that putting shelves in there wouldn’t be very nice to have when we have so much stuff. This is just a me problem and this obviously works well for people like you. I agree those Bachmann switches are the worst thing in history and need to be updated but with the many limitations of spacing in my house, this was the best and only option. I was lucky to get this even. Thanks for the photos, very well done and I admire it!

·
Registered
48 Posts
We had a railroad in a garage in Chicago and the track expansion and contraction was a nightmare. Playing with trains in the winter was not fun either.
I do look forward to expanding somehow but my garages are used so heavily that putting shelves in there wouldn’t be very nice to have when we have so much stuff. This is just a me problem and this obviously works well for people like you. I agree those Bachmann switches are the worst thing in history and need to be updated but with the many limitations of spacing in my house, this was the best and only option. I was lucky to get this even. Thanks for the photos, very well done and I admire it!
In the 1970s, I had an 8 x 8 table layout on pulleys so a car could be driven underneath when the layout was pulled up. The table pulled up inside a cloth curtain ring mounted on the ceiling to keep dust and dirt from landing on the table. Sorry, no photos, as I moved out of that house some time ago. The table had short legs to land on so the whole thing was not swinging in the breeze. The outside edge of the table was banded with 1 x 4s to stiffen the table and to keep derailments off the floor. The table was 3/8" plywood on grid of 1 x 2s, lifted near the four corners, using standard clothesline.

I used Atlas Snap track on cork and did not seem to have expansion and contraction problems. However, if I did the same thing today, I would consider Kato Unitrack or Bachmann EZ track with minimal spiking to the table to allow for thermal changes. The track on carpet method probably gives a similar result, good idea.

Kudos for pushing forward with the space you do not have.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We had a railroad in a garage in Chicago and the track expansion and contraction was a nightmare. Playing with trains in the winter was not fun either.
I live maybe two hours away. I’m definitely not leaving this out in the winter and I might have to take it back inside sometime early next month. Was your garage insulated?

·
Registered
648 Posts
I had an 8'X12' out in my garage/shop for a few years uncovered. I did mechanicing, woodworking, metalworking, yard tool storage, anything else that needed doing in there. It did have a wood stove that was occasionally used but mostly the environment was unregulated. The only issue with the layout was it needed the occasionally cleaning. I believe garage layouts are perfectly fine based on personal experience and not what might be.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Kato unitrack is your best option. Identical to the bachmann track you have in concept, but far superior quality.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts