Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I don't really have much room to dedicate to running G scale trains inside, I am thinking of making a 'around the walls' track in the basement front room, which is perfectly suited for it.

I just need to try and figure the best approach and of course not making a mess a the same time. I think the track could total more than 50 ft, which is pretty big! And where the door is, a drawbridge or something similar could be installed. Same thing for the south window.

What I like about the potential set up is that the trains will be chest-leve - so you can actually see them up close, as opposed to having them up in the corners of the ceiling, straining your neck to see them...

·
Registered
289 Posts
This idea has been trashed due to the renovation of the room I was going to use... The best I will be able to do is display the trains, but not actually operate them.
Bummer dude. :( I would have liked to see that. IMO it would be cool to have them above the door level. Just have a swiveling recliner to chill out in while checking them out.
Actually, the level you were planning on sounds much better. I have left places with my neck stuck in a cramp from others being set up to high. ouch

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Too many doors and windows in the room... It would have dominated. Plus the room is not a regular shape, so that presented more challenges.

You need a very large room with 8-10ft ceilings for it to work properly.
Wow, for some reason windows and doors never crossed my mind :retard:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here is layout on a wall that you will like.

Hello all,
I thought you would enjoy seeing what can be done with a surround the room wall layout. I videoed a long G Scale train circling the room and passing the sidings under the overhang. It is a cute addition to our room addition. The video is here: http://www.cleantrains.com/id52.htm The sidings are on a wire shelf to let the light from the 3 overhead lights shine through.
I hope you like the set up, tell me what you think!:)
Sincerely,
Forrest Skidmore

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,034 Posts
Hello all,
I thought you would enjoy seeing what can be done with a surround the room wall layout. I videoed a long G Scale train circling the room and passing the sidings under the overhang. It is a cute addition to our room addition. The video is here: http://www.cleantrains.com/id52.htm The sidings are on a wire shelf to let the light from the 3 overhead lights shine through.
I hope you like the set up, tell me what you think!:)
Sincerely,
Forrest Skidmore
Nice train room.:thumbsup:
Do you have enough engines pulling the train.:D
It looks like you can really make those crawl.:D

Two Rail, eat your heart out.:laugh:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Ed

Yep, those engines crawl just fine when there's so many amps available to the motors. I upgraded my throttle to handle around 12 amps, and the low end is pretty massive. I put 8 LM317 voltage regulators in parallel with a 9th one in series to step down the control current for the potentiometer. A CPU heat sink/fan combo keeps the whole thing well ventilated when 8 or more locomotives are being controlled. You don't see a lot of big lash-ups in G Scale, but all these engines run well together as long as the lighter Aristo units are in front. The USA Trains units will pull the Aristos right off the tracks if a big train is behind them!!:) I am glad you enjoyed the video!
Forrest

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Forrest,

Nice setup. Was the room designed with the trains in mind? I noticed that the train path along the wall "conveniently" just clears windows, heating vents, doorway tops, etc. Dumb luck, or a pre-planned pathway?

TJ

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi TJ.

Well, I wish I could say I planned it that way, but I would be lying if I did. I did actually design the room, but the train idea came after it was built. "Dumb luck" is quite valuable here! I did 'see' the train path when I decided to add the track, and it was interesting to notice how all the windows and doors had the same top height.
Sincerely,
Forrest S.:)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Well, I just figured out what I'll be working on in the spring!

I wonder if base housing will get upset with all the holes I have to drill to mount the track :eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im glad I came across this video...I want G scale, but I have three dogs. It would be a waste of my $$$ to do it outside because they would just tear it up. I have been inspired...G scale room is underway!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts