Model Train Forum banner

layout plan

934 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Phil97 
#1 ·
getting ready to attach my full size layout plan to my surface which is blue foam - need to glue it down and I'm looking for the best glue that is non-toxic and doesn't smell, that will glue the paper permanently to blue foam - any ideas - thanks

#2 ·
Are you saying that you want to permanently attach a drawing of
your layout to the supporting surface? Most of us simply use an
awl or pen to piece the drawing leaving a center line on the support
surface which you use to lay your track. If you do it that way you
would want only pins or tacks to hold the drawing temporarily,

Don

#3 ·
I've been building a shelf layout which has a layer of foam-board (the thin stuff you get for crafts) on top of a layer of pink foam. I have been using a spray bottle with thinned elmers glue to attach my layout printouts to the paper on the foam board, and it's still a questionable attachment in some spots. I can't imagine trying to glue the paper directly to any foam.

I assume most layout software will generate printouts with grid lines on it, so your best bet would probably be to put lines on the foam every 6" and use them to line up your printouts. Use a soft pencil or pen to draw down the track centerlines on each page, and that should leave a noticeable line in the foam. Your track placement doesn't have to be exact, it just need to be close so you maintain clearance between parallel tracks.

#6 ·
std reply - thank you very much - this will work but it would be easier to just glue it down - I've been told that elmers glue straight, applied thinly, with a paint roller, would do the trick (maybe thinned it doesn't work well - I think I will try on a scrap piece of foam and see about full strength??)- not sure which way to go but at least elmers is non toxic - another suggestion was best paper cement, however, its very toxic - I'm gluing it to blue foam insultation - or not - thanks

#4 ·
I used that paper covered foam from the Craft store to cover my layout. It provides a very easy to
work surface for laying track and scenery. However, as I suggested to another member who
also has full size layout plans, to use a pointer or pen to penetrate the plans track center line thus
transferring the plan center line to your foam. Then simply use that as the guide for laying
your track bed and track.

Don

#5 ·
this will work but it would be easier to just glue it down - I've been told that elmers glue straight, applied thinly, with a paint roller, would do the trick - not sure which way to go but at least elmers is non toxic - another suggestion was best paper cement, however, its very toxic - I'm gluing it to blue foam insultation - or not - thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.