Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to gather some track as I can afford it, and wondering which curve to go with. My thought is to build a table and start playing with layouts to see what I end up with. I'm going to use Lionel Fastrack since I already have what came in the used set and several other O-36 curves and 2 O-36 switches.

I know bigger is better obviously if you've got the space. I've already talked myself into 5'x10' or a shape thereabouts instead of 4x8.

I don't want to buy too small of radius and wished I had gotten bigger in the long run, and then have to buy more. I'm thinking O48 would be sufficient as it seems like most of the Engines that need bigger turns are the big $ steam engines which aren't my cup of tea....this week.

Also should I be getting O48 switches or just jump to O60 switches just in case? Arguments either way?

If my drivel is confusing, you won't be the first person to tell me so.;)

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
JDean,

You're thinking / asking very prudent questions re: curve radius ... no drivel at all.

If your options are already in the O48 / O60 range, you're already perhaps a step up (larger) than many with O31 and itty-bitty O27 (for guys like me!).

Think about what engines / cars you might want to use. If you go to the Lionel website and look at individual locos (and long passenger cars, for example), they'll tell you what minimum and suggested track radius is recommended.

Good to have you onboard!

TJ

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
JDean, welcome to the forum, and I love the sausage!:laugh:

TJ gave you good advice, but I'd like to add to it. Go here: http://www.anyrail.com/index_en.html Download the free 50-piece-of-track demo, and see what will work in the area you have available---it's far better than buy-and-see-if-it-works purchasing of track. The software is very user-friendly and you'll likely do as I did and buy it. It will save you a lot of time, frustration, and "well, I can't use that after all!" experiences as you try to piece a layout together. Nice to have you join us, and send some pics as you start to assemble it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
You could go with O48 outside and O36 inside. Did not have the area myself so I used O36. But I wanted a "U" shaped layout, otherwise probably could have used O60 or O72. Regret???
Don't believe you have the space for O60 on 5X10.

What loco's are you eying?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could go with O48 outside and O36 inside. Did not have the area myself so I used O36. But I wanted a "U" shaped layout, otherwise probably could have used O60 or O72. Regret???
Don't believe you have the space for O60 on 5X10.

What loco's are you eying?
That's exactly what I was trying to get at. An O48 outer loop and O36 inside. That's the way I'm leaning anyways unless I can come up with a reason I "need" bigger.

I downloaded Anyrail last week but for some reason I get an error and it won't run. I need to try and redownload I guess. I did try Altas' freeware and it's ok. I still have more fun avoiding the apps though, since I sit infront of a computer more than 60 hours/week for work.

Loco's? :D I'm eyeing them all, but 1st on the list is probably a modern diesel under the CSX roadname.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just rember if you run newer engines that are scale or near to scale they will require at least 0-42 . that is because they will run between 16/to almost 19 inches long..as in sd 70 ace or ac 4400 / gp35.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's exactly why I was wanting larger curves but also trying to find a happy medium. I'm planning my layout currently with O48. I'll see what I come up with.

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
In planning your layout, be wary of the confusing way in which O curved track is referenced...

O track is sometimes referenced to center of rails, sometimes to outer rail. O27 is 27" diameter to outer rail. Basic O (O31) is referenced to the diameter of the outer rail. However, O72 is 72" diameter to center of rails.

TJ

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In planning your layout, be wary of the confusing way in which O curved track is referenced...

O track is sometimes referenced to center of rails, sometimes to outer rail. O27 is 27" diameter to outer rail. Basic O (O31) is referenced to the diameter of the outer rail. However, O72 is 72" diameter to center of rails.

TJ

Thanks. I had noticed that. I'm actually taking it quite slowly. I finally got Anyrail to work on my wife's laptop, so between playing with that and taping out the table profile on the floor, I should be able to come out ok.

I'll be sure to get some pics when I stop horsing around and get something functional setup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts