Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon, my name is Joe and I am new this site and not so new to model railroading although it has been a long time and there are a lot of changes to model railroading. So much more to learn, hope I came to the right place so let me start by asking about O Gauge track and benchwork sizes.

Looking to set up my late father's post war Lionel train (O Gauge SantaFe 2353) on 4 x 8 layout with a modern MTH Railking. Will 4 x 8 accommodate both trains? Should I go to 6 x 10? This lay out will be seasonal only and the bench work will need to be built in modules for storing.

What track will accommodate both trains? Fasttrack? Original O Gauge three rail?

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Welcome Joe

You'll find a large army of 0 gauge hobbyists in our 0 Scale forum. They are very active and
experienced in all phases of the hobby. Some oif them will be along shortly to
answer your questions, if not, start a new thread in our 0 gauge forum.
I'm an HO fan myself so I'll pass to those who know.

Don

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome Joe

You'll find a large army of 0 gauge hobbyists in our 0 Scale forum. They are very active and

Don
Thanks Don, have some old HO Scale trains too, will be pulling them out next week and looking at them. I'm sure a lot of HO activity can fit in a 4 x 8 space.
Welcome Joe

Don
Welcome Joe

Don
Thanks Don, am looking forward to participating on this forum. Have a bunch of HO trains to go through this weekend too. You can probably get a lot of activity in HO on a 4 x 8 platform.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
4 X 8 is often used as a base for HO trains, but today's larger 6 wheel truck locomotives need a minimum of
22" radius curves which barely fit on that size platform...enlarge it a bit to 5 X 8 and you would be
much more happy with the operations.

If there is some age on your older HO you may find the rails are brass and in sections.. You may recall the electrical
contact difficulties with that material. It required a lot of work to keep the rails clean. Today the
standard is nickle Silver rails which don't require so much maintenance. Many of us prefer the
flex track that comjes in 3 foot sections that you can bend and cut to meet your track design. The fewer joints
help with better electrical conductivity.

Keep up posted on your progress and let us know when we can be of help.

Don

1 - 4 of 4 Posts