Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am extremely new to this hobby and know little to nothing. I have this odd spare room in my house that is attached on to my kitchen. It is fully open on one side into the kitchen. I am thinking of building a false floor in this room to use it for a layout. The room is roughly 5.5x7 foot. What scale should I be looking at to have a decent layout in that size of a room?

·
16,666 Posts
I am thinking of building a false floor in this room to use it for a layout.
DBF,

You lost me on that one ... a "false floor" for a layout? What's going through your mind there? Key us in on what you're thinking, and we'll bounce back with some ideas.

Cheers,

TJ

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the room has a plug in roughly 3.5 foot up on the wall... It only has 3 sides... I am going to use the whole room as the layout... and it will be viewable from the 4th open side. So essentially just wanted to build a box the same shape/size of the room to just a few inches above that plugin... The only concerns I have is reaching stuff in the back but I previously read someone who had pop up pieces of scenary to reach back pieces.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Or I also thought about making the box L shaped so I could step in the middle but I figured that it would take away precious real estate.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Depending on the amount of trains you want to run I would say HO or N scale. HO is more common and generally cost less in the long run, especially if you use the used market. You do need to keep in mind the type of locomotives you will be running. HO GPs and there 4 axil locos can make up to a 15r turn if needed, as can 40' and less rolling stock. To go bigger than that you will need 18r minimum turns. Steamers (other than switchers) will require 22r turns unless designed for a smaller radius.
15r turn = 30 inches to turn the train 180 degrees.
18r turn = 36 inches to turn the train 180 degrees.
22r turn = 44 inches to turn the train 180 degrees.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stupid question... this hobby seems to be hard to find general information on for complete noobs.. where can i find information on the scales? I have watched several vids but it of course doesnt show much scale in relation to other objects. I am wondering the general dimensions for say a HO engine...

·
16,666 Posts
I think HO would be a nice choice for a starter/newbie layout of approx 5'x7' size. Lots of HO stuff available ... used stuff for cheap, and the proportions of a starter layout would fit the space nicely.

That said ...

5' depth is a bit far for arm's reach. Maybe keep the left and right sides at the full 5' depth, but curve the front (entrace) edge in a snake-like fashion such that it drops down to 4' (or so ... maybe 52" max) in the mid section of width, perhaps 3' wide.

TJ

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tman... nice pic... that should be posted somewhere for size comparison lol. All it needs is a can of coke in the pic so you can relate to something we all know.

tkruger thanks for that...thats what I was looking for and I think HO will be perfect for what I need.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hmm... okay.. I would really like to go HO.. may have to figure something out for my kids room instead. Maybe I can build a nice layout a few feet off the ground and incorporate a nice toybox and set of drawers underneath for him. My current house is kind of small :-(

Although my fiance says she wants to go small as posisble so we can pack more cool scenary in lol. So I will research the n scale too

·
play every day
4,950 Posts
Hi board, :)

Before you commit to building anything... first take a look at Small Layout Scrapbook. It's hands down the very best collection of small layout ideas from all over the world, and my #1 favorite train site. :)

Here's just one excellent small layout example, in HO scale this would be about 4'x4'...

Another idea is running short trains to make a small layout seem large...

There are hundreds of really neat ideas for small layouts. :)

Greg

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,868 Posts
Tman... nice pic... that should be posted somewhere for size comparison lol. All it needs is a can of coke in the pic so you can relate to something we all know.

tkruger thanks for that...thats what I was looking for and I think HO will be perfect for what I need.
N scale the smallest, then HO, then O the largest....with a can of coke.:D

PA100003.jpg

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks big ed!

Great site choo choo... thats definately what I was looking for... that give me a starting point to build on with my lack of knowledge. Now to start researching great places to buy track and general HO sets.

·
play every day
4,950 Posts
I've spent so many happy hours poring over the clever ideas in the Small Layout Scrapbook. When you're restricted by space, don't forget that you can go UP... :)

Greg

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is very true.. and I have been trying to read up on angles.. etc.. I would love to build up to the point of taking it through a square box that is already built above my cabinets and around the cieling of my living room. I think it would probably be easier and better looking just to do two seperate setups if I were going to do that though.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts