Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't have a program for layouts, and I'm the pit's at "Paint", but this is kinda what I'd like.

Suggestions on a better use of the space would be great. I did hope to have room for some structures, and don't think I'm up to multi-levels, or mountains:laugh::laugh:

Thanks,
Jim

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Jim,

I've been sketching out "my first Lionel layout" on my end, too. Similar size, though a bit narrowere ... mine is 96" x 33" max.

If you're interested, PM me your email address, and I can send you a couple of pdf's of layout sketches I've been doodling. All pretty simple. Maybe there's something there that might offer an idea or two for you.

TJ

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I don't have a program for layouts, and I'm the pit's at "Paint", but this is kinda what I'd like.

Suggestions on a better use of the space would be great. I did hope to have room for some structures, and don't think I'm up to multi-levels, or mountains:laugh::laugh:

Thanks,
Jim
Which scale are you working with----the Lionel O or the S?

PM coming atcha....

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
O ... specifically O27, because of my narrow (33") board depth. I can't fit in a loop-within-a-loop.

I'm also limited (for now) by having 4 switches ... 2L and 2R. I've thought about layouts that have "shared loop ends", but I'm now thinking to focus a bit more on having dead-end turnout spurs where I can have a few idle locos and cars stored. Maybe wire the local track sections via toggle switches where I can 'flip on' various sections of tracks to make indivitual trains run/go off of one (old school, non DCC) transformer. More thoughts/questions to come in a future post/thread.

TJ

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll be setting up the "S" gauge in the house, and the Lionel in my garage(workshop) The limited space makes the house a better fit for the smaller scale.

TJ, thanks, but I've got to work this through so I can teach the hows and whys to my grandchildren:)

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
O ... specifically O27, because of my narrow (33") board depth. I can't fit in a loop-within-a-loop.

I'm also limited (for now) by having 4 switches ... 2L and 2R. I've thought about layouts that have "shared loop ends", but I'm now thinking to focus a bit more on having dead-end turnout spurs where I can have a few idle locos and cars stored. Maybe wire the local track sections via toggle switches where I can 'flip on' various sections of tracks to make indivitual trains run/go off of one (old school, non DCC) transformer. More thoughts/questions to come in a future post/thread.

TJ
I'm planning something similar: a sort of power-zone arrangement where different track sections are controlled by separate transformers. The possibility for accidents are endless!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rec:laugh::laugh:kers, TJ, T-Man and I are waiting eagerly for your "Wounded Warriors!"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts