Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started my extended layout going up.here is some pic nothing is set in stone. This still a rough layout. Lot more work. Know i would like your honest opinion or any advice. Like i said nothing is set in stone. Thanks Al

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Looks easy enough to finish. Run some trains and see what you think. I would move the trestle bridge to the new upper loop where the track passes the yellow Shell storage tank.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good i could leave the bridge and buy another one . nothing wrong going on e bay and buy another one. Any excuse to by more train stuff.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Looks like a good start. I like your sturdy blocks holding that upper level. Looks like you build like I do. Over build so there are no weak spots not to mention those 2x4 runners.

Kenny

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thankyou i like to build so it last longer than i do. Lol i will think about it flyernut thankyou.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
All looks good Al. I love the long straight away in 2nd pic. How long is the layout now?

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
You have a great looking layout and a second level is just all that is need to purchase more train stuff. Love all the accessories around the rails, sweet. Here are some pix of my first and second level. Might spark a thought. I love bridges purchased or hand made.

Doc'

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice real nice so you use the older A.F.T. tacks and the pike master tracks what is the difference is it a better track than the orignal.
Al

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
I have no pike master track as I heard it caused and issue in curves for the long step Diesels because of the tighter radius in the curve tracks. There was a layout in Charlotte NC several years ago that had a nice tight " tie " spacing but I can't remember who made it. Once again CRS disease jumps up.
Doug

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Maybe your seeing the HO layout that is running around the outside and under the elevation of the AF rails. The HO is atlas.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
I'll do better with the picture size, sorry. The layout resembles an upside down U running around the outside wall of a 30 x 16' room. 15' down the left side, 16' across the end and 22' up the other wall at present. There are 2 separate S tracks in the center and 2 HO tracks outside of them. A bridge network spans the window end with over/under S and dual outside and inside HO bridges. It has been about 5 years on this layout. With more to do.

The connecting bridges

Doug

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Doug, that is a very nice dual scale layout. The detail work on the elevated sections is great. I see there is a lot of roadbed and track work yet to do on the HO. There is no visible access, do you walk on the layout to access the track? Is the HO DCC? I only see one reverse loop (the turntable.)
As far as high rail S gauge track there are multiple options. There are rubber ties made that slip under the rails of Gilbert track. There is GarGraves that has more realistic ties that is fully compatible with Gilbert track. In the scale appearing segment with scale ties there is American S gauge with .172 rail, American Models with .148 rail and then MTH, Fox Valley and Lionel Fastrack all use .138 rail. All Gilbert trains run on all these track systems. If my memory is correct the layout mentioned uses American S Gauge track.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts