Model Train Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
Very interesting...Subway is the one that surprised me even tho I had seen
it in just about every truck and travel stop recently. It's in nearly every neighborhood
here in Jacksonville.
The top four; Subway, as well as McDonalds, Starbucks, KFC and Burger King have
really 'invaded' Europe. I enjoy the Youtube video Tram (streetcar) rides through most
European cities. ON those you see these good ole American
brands in vertually every town.

Don

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Advertising and location are everything in retail no matter the product.

When American became more health conscious due to Subway's ads, that"s where they took off in the 2010's and out performed McDonalds.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Subway is very surprising in their rapid gain and actually being in 1st place. I imagine the booming numbers for all of them reflects more a gain in personal ability to spend rather than increase in population. There are several in the list that I don't care for, others I visit now and then.

Yeah, it's kinda strange (but getting used to it) to see those big names in China, India, African countries and others.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Walmart had a short stint in Germany, but their company culture did not go over well with the Germans and Walmart bailed.

No one smiles all day long and asks "How are you today" in Germany.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Fun graphic. It hypnotized me. But these are units -- I'd like to see sales. I suspect McDonald's are big units with big sales -- and subways and even Starbucks say are in closets sometimes....

·
Registered
7,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Walmart had a short stint in Germany, but their company culture did not go over well with the Germans and Walmart bailed.

No one smiles all day long and asks "How are you today" in Germany.
In the 1940's, it was more like " Have a good day, or you vill be shot!"

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Might be related to the franchise attributes. Way less start up costs, minimum franchisee resource requirements, corporate location restrictions, etc.

Severn's post is key. Less stores but much higher output per store. An attribute of a store's infrastructure and return on investment. Grills, fryers, drive-through facility, etc.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I must be doing something very wrong.
Of the top six I've only been to a Burger King a few times years ago.
Domino's was quit frequent but not so much lately.
I do Del Taco not Taco Bell.

Never even been in a Starbucks, KFC, Pizza Hut or Dunkin' donuts
Haven't been in a McDonalds in 40 years.

They didn't get that big using my money.

Pretty interesting graphic non the less.

Magic

·
Registered
720 Posts
Fascinating to watch! Thanks, Hobo! I haven't visited any of them recently... 🤣

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Very cool post. It will be interesting to see what happens after the pandemic.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Subway #1? Checked the local map and there are 17 within 5 mile radius!! Yet there is one that I would patronize lately and even that one just occasionally. Quality and consistency varies dramatically from one store to another - something that McD and SBX seem to have a better handle on.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,535 Posts
Just RRRRrrrrremarkable, wow.
I watched it over and over, over a 100 times I did.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Subway shops are usually in strip malls with maybe two employees and no drive through. Different business model than Mickey D's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts