Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I use an old transformer, example 3V size and I cut the round plug off the end does it matter which side I hook the legs of the leds to?
If it does how do I determine on the wall wart which wire is positive and which is negative?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
wall warts almost always have a small picture showin polarity.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
If I use an old transformer, example 3V size and I cut the round plug off the end does it matter which side I hook the legs of the leds to?
If it does how do I determine on the wall wart which wire is positive and which is negative?

a multimeter is the easiest way ....
if you don't have one, a regular white led can be substituted, if it's right, it will light .. on a led the longer lead is positive

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I believe the simple answer is no but you need a resistor in there or you're likely to burn it out. Because I'm not an expert all I can really do is point you to this for some good info:

https://learn.adafruit.com/all-about-leds

(generally speaking I've found sites like adafruit to have excellent beginner guides on these kind of things -- or at least I think)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Something else to keep in mind, a small percentage of wall warts are AC, and therefore not usable without a rectifier to make it DC.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
And if you're not sensitive to 60 Hz flicker you'll never know the difference.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I am only sensitive to the AC flicker on -some- LEDs, and as I get older, the tendancy is less flicker ... I normally run up to 1k on resistor value, because I prefer a dimmer LED

1 - 9 of 9 Posts