Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When adding resistors to LED's does it matter if you shorten the leads on the LED's and the resistors or is their a required length for each?

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
The length doesn't matter. Just don't let the heat of your soldering iron damage either one.

·
Registered
850 Posts
The longer lead on the LED is the + side, maybe try not to lose track when trimming...

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Length only matters when soldering, you don't want to melt the LED or the resistor. Does not make any difference which lead you solder the resistor to. However it's nice to be consistent, like always putting the resistor on the Anode to make it easier later when you put it in the circuit. A little shrink tubing over the resistor and its solder joints may help in avoiding a broken solder joint.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Length only matters when soldering, you don't want to melt the LED or the resistor. Does not make any difference which lead you solder the resistor to. However it's nice to be consistent, like always putting the resistor on the Anode to make it easier later when you put it in the circuit. A little shrink tubing over the resistor and its solder joints may help in avoiding a broken solder joint.
Hi Lemonhawk
I'm looking to buy some shrink tubing and what size do you recommend for these resistors and HO street lights? I saw some 3/16" on Ebay. Is this a good size?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I would look for anm assortment, Harbor Freight or Amazon carry them. Colors also may help. The assortment will work on a lot of different ways where you can use shrink tubing. You can use the soldering pencil to shrink it or a hair dryer, but be cautious no matter how you do things so you don't destroy the LED. The hair dryer can overheat large areas! It's always fun to watch the tubing shrink around the joints!

·
Registered
423 Posts
I like the soldering iron for heat shrink tube, your in and out quick. I picked Up 1mm heat shrink tubing off Amazon , 6 or 7 colours, and perfect for dcc wiring....cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts