Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using the red and green frosted LEDs from Autolumination.com in my 022C switch controllers and LOVE them. They use less power so there is more power to throw the switch, but best of all they don’t burn my arms like the bulbs do! (Yes I am using the 24V bulbs, but that doesn’t help much.) BUT, every time a wheel derails on a switch, and causes the switch to chatter; it takes out the LED in the controller that was lite. Let’s face it, wheel derailments on 022 switches are not a rare occurrence. Does anybody know what could be added to electrically protect the LEDs in the controller.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
uni or bi directional?

I have some Mouser 576-1.536CA bi-directional TVS Diodes 30.8V and 1500W. Put one across the base of each LED lamp socket?

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I put a diode in series with the lamps in the controllers and that reduces the power enough that the lamps don't burn. You can touch them while they are lit and not burn your fingers. I also put a diode in series with the lamps in the switches so they don't melt the lanterns as I like to run the switches on 20 volts so they operate quickly.

Read my thread on restoring 022 switches and you will virtually eliminate derailing on 022 switches. 022/711 switch operating prblms. Search for it with Google. I have restored about 150 022 switches.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts