Model Train Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw this on the OGF.

There's some good folks on that forum, several of whom are also here and on OGF. Kinda makes a fellow wonder about the leadership over there, though.

And yes, I'm stirring the pot! (been a bit bored lately)

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Read over on OGF some of the posters flaming Lee. I guess they are not the goody two shoes that they claim to be. Seems to be really childish on their part.

Bill

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I’m a member at OGF, but have not gone there much after the stunt that Emile pulled here. I also thought OGF was supposed to be “the friendly forum” and left a reply on that thread to that effect.

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
I'm sorry. OGF. Who is OGF? I know who OGR is, but OGF? I've never been on a forum named OGF. Not sure if there is one, but there must be if people are talkng about it. I must have missed something. Is that the CTT forum do you mean? Those and fairly nice guys there.

·
Registered
843 Posts
WOW! What short memories we have here. A long time ago in another Forum we suddenly noticed an absence of one of the posters. Questions asked were he had gone came often until an answer was given. Upon arriving upon the site, we all read reasons why and the rumbling and grumling started about the other Forum and problems one had. There was never a shortage of the grumbling nor posting of same.
Seems the grumbling is always here and seems as if its an exclusive right here only to grumble, in fact a ritual allowed. Members here even seem proud and post so that they were responsible for some to leave here, (check out Hobos post on his gladly post he was responsible for one person leaving).
So if it is posted that a certain person left a Forum, grumbled about the reason why, then others added their disfavors, its okay. Then years later all is forgiven and returns to the Forum which he was responsible for many coming here with no explanation, it is then only speculation on why and don't think its a bashing to post maybe reasoning s.
One thing I have noticed, the "O" scale posting here is dying slowly with little postings, compared to what it once was. It is a shell of it was or became.
Personally, I remembered one time I asked a question on (I never named a name, but that and only that person knew who I was talking about), a respected technician who had installed TMCC boards in one of my ABA PS1 units. Originally I was quoted a price on ERR system. 6 Months later when it suddenly died and I opened up, contacted the Tech and never got a reply that they were not ERR system rather re-hashed and repaired boards from an earlier TMCC system and one could see new soldered components were attached, I was chastised for bringing it up, when I asked only what to do further since I felt cheated and taken advantage of for 380.00 plus shipping both ways.
So what I see and read here is only this Forum has exclusive rights to complain and chastise others.
What is odd is that the Forum is exclusively owned by its members and their time and donations.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Well Walter from what I have read over on the OGF, very few have anything good to say about the OGR forum, so this forum is not alone in that scenario. You can also include the MTJ in that category, which is probably by far the biggest critic / flamer of OGR. I visit most of the forums, I am only a registered member of OGR and this forum which works for me.

You are correct in that this forum has lost quite few regular posters since OGF started up. IMO, the OGR forum is the most robust O Gauge forum, significantly more than all the others put together. I would guess that quite a few folks that flame OGR visit it quite often.

Bill

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
Okay, thanks TripleO. I found the link and followed it. Quite a read . . .

No, my ears are not burning. I didn't know that forum's name, but I did know about it- and I see my decision to never look for or visit it was well-founded. In my opinion, petty conversations like that don't belong on any on-line forum, and certainly not one I will belong to.

But pettiness aside, there is a great mis-understanding of why I left OGR there . . .

While I was concerned about censorship of negative posts about advertisers made by the forum administrators on OGR, I always accepted that - because the owners never hid their intentions. OGR is a forum in the same way that Brides is a print magazine: every weighty issue of that magazine (typically hundreds of pages) consists only of ads, and of articles praising the products those advertisers make. Further, the more a company advertises, the more and longer the articles praising their products are. Still, I bought a few issues of Brides magazine each time I was preparing for the wedding of one of my kids: it was best source for information on current products and services and things to think about in advance that I could find . . .
Same thing with OGR: its advertising and "content policing" policy guarantees it has a close relationship with and the trust of the manufacturers in our hobby. And yes, it also means that almost all content on that forum will be positively spun. But no one is hiding that fact, just keep in mind - caveat emptor, as always . . .

I stopped posting on the OGR forum years ago, and considering myself a member, but I never stopped going there often, just to read . . .

I recently started posting there mostly because I wanted to tell as wide an audience as possible about the AutomotionFX wire-guided road system, and how great it was. I had an e-mail discussion prior to that with Alan Arnold, so he knew why, etc. I do not dislike the OGR forum, but still consider MTF my home.

I stopped posting on OGR five years agmostly because I grew tired of the nasty, sniping comments, the petty, judgmental attitudes, and the arrogant superiority that a few members constantly displayed in their postings that was not fairly policed there. I joined MTF and was delighting that it did not have the same "only-positive-comments-about-advertisers -please" policy in the policing of its posts, butwas mostly attracted by the fact that it had far superior "fairness" in the policing of member comments and dialogue with one another. Thank GRJ and Teledoc and others for that. I always loved the fact that it was multi-scale. That is great. So I joined MTF and worked hard to make it a good forum.

Looking at the thread and conversation in the link to OGF that TripleO posted to begin this thread, those are exactly the type of comments I left OGR to avoid, so I appreciate greatly that those people left MTF, so it could remain a place I like.

I will concede that MTF isn't the biggest or most active model train forum, but I believe it is the best: my favorite restaurant is far from the biggest and most popular in town, but it has the food I like best, a great owner and wait staff, and te a well-behaved, quiet clientele, which I appreciate greatly. Joseph Stalin was no doubt correct, in context, when he stated decades ago that: "Quantity has its own unique Quality." But I don't think he was talking about model train forums when he said that, and I don't care about the size of membership or traffic here: MTF is a great place.

I make it a point to try to always be positive in my postings. Therefore, in closing I will specifially note that I wish the founders of OGF well with their new forum: They got the forum they wanted, and they made this forum just a little bit better by leaving. So thanks guys: it all worked out well for everone.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
Well said Lee. Your articles on the Automotion wire road system was well received over on OGR.

Bill
Might be too technical for the OGF to comprehend. :D

They have a post asking a simple question on how to restring a prewar crane that has sat unanswered since March.
Yep, the Atta Boy club sure helps a lot.
Too technical for them to answer that question.

But hey they have a lot of posts now !
99% of them are just like when they were here, looks great, good job, I like that, nice, sweet, wow, etc,etc ,etc. Oops, I forgot, or HAPPY BIRTHDAY ha ha ha.
What a site, now they begged for money to keep it going. Lots donated and wow got a diamond next to their name for donating $100 +..
And a "free" OGF truck or something. Wow, yeah free for a $100.
I pity the ones who don't have the diamond.

I like the last line of Lee's post,
They got the forum they wanted, and they made this forum just a little bit better by leaving. So thanks guys: it all worked out well for everone. (y)

Reactions: bigdodgetrain
1 - 17 of 17 Posts