Model Train Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Oof, if but the time and money. I've got massive star wars set to put together. But it looks cool and they appear to be expanding train offerings.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
That could use some Sommerfeldt pans...

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,981 Posts
That is cool if your into Lego's.
I do think they are over priced, the 99 bucks is just for the plastic.
But, it says, Optional LEGO® Powered Up components available separately.

When my kids were young they had a lot of Lego's, they are still in the walk-in closet that is wall to wall toys. I have not opened the door in a while now. I am afraid to look in there!
My brother one Christmas got them a large Lego race track set.
As it was on the house floor there were Legos all over the place because they had so many other sets already.

That present got put away right away. :)
That race track still sits with the cellophane wrapper on it.
Never opened.

And..........I do think they are overpriced.

·
Registered
8,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Big Ed, some of those old Lego sets now go for big money....especially if unopened.....

And LEGO is expensive, but very high quality compared to other building block sets.....

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I remember receiving Lego sets while a boy in Germany. They weren't sets of a model to build though, you had to use your imagination and build your own models of whatever you could think up.

Reactions: sjm9911

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I don't known much about it but powered up is a bluetooth based system. If I recall correctly there's a programmer interface and hobbyists are able to do their own thing with it.

(Speculation)

So yes, you could maybe with lcs get this thing injected into the roster of the Lionel base in a spoof way. The hand controller may well then could control it by echoing/transforming Lionel commands in a pc for example through the lcs bus when it sees them to lego bluetooth control. The actual Lionel rf side would be never be received by it or anything in this csse.

I'm not 100% sure this would work but I think it could. The question is whether the lcs pc can inject a fake entry into the base controller. I think it can but without having done it I can't prove it this moment for sure.

The reason I think it can be done is lcs track constructs an "Id packet" when an engine runs over it and this is how the base gets a new engine in the roster.

So to me a pc on the lcs could just inject such a packer it constructs itself as if it's the track for example.

When I say "pc" I mean any computer on the lcs serial bus ... It doesn't literally have to be a pc.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
That much is certain.

·
Registered
8,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Me neither, but I thought I’d share.....

But, if I could get ahold of these.....released in 2002, for $40.00.....

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I remember receiving Lego sets while a boy in Germany. They weren't sets of a model to build though, you had to use your imagination and build your own models of whatever you could think up.
Likewise. My Lego set was just blocks of various sizes (even before the first Lego "people"). Since they mostly served as barricades and bunkers for my Army men most of them got painted with [probably lead-based] model paint in appropriate camo and earth tones.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Yes, there were no people, no doors or windows, or anything else that are included in today's sets.

I remember there being wheels though, with grey rubber tread. I built a lot of airliners and used them for landing gear.

·
Registered
8,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And I remember walking to school 40 miles uphill both ways, in a blinding snow blizzard, at minus 25.....
:LOL:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts