Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was running my new 44 tonner the other day. I put a few cabooses behind it and it dawned on me that the LVRR probably had more color schemes than any railroad I could think of. I have four LV diesels and each one has a different scheme (Cornell red with a yellow stripe, LV red with a yellow stripe, snowbird white and pre war switcher red, gray, black and yellow).

LV diesel colors I don’t have include early switcher black with white lettering, Cornell red with 3 black stripes, Tuscan, Cornell red with 4’ wide yellow stripe (used only on two locos), red, black and brushed aluminum (used only on Alco HH600 #105) and Yellow Jacket used on Alco C420s. That’s 10 color schemes (eight if you don’t count the schemes used on only a few locos).

LV rolling stock also had a variety of colors. I have box cars in green and in snowbird. I also have cabooses in cornel red and in green. And I have a caboose in the snowbird scheme on pre-order.

Can you think of any railroad that had more color schemes than Lehigh Valley? Norfolk Southern probably has more (if you count the one offs and heritage units), but less if you don’t count the one offs.

IMG_3417.JPG

IMG_3418.JPG

IMG_3419 (2).JPG

IMG_3422 (2).JPG

·
Admin
43,526 Posts
Boy, now there's a RR that couldn't make up their mind on the paint scheme! You can get a lot of variety with only one road name, that's pretty neat. :) PRR is pretty dull by comparison, I have a lot of dark green and tuscan locomotives and rolling stock. :D

C

·
0 Posts
That is pretty cool, Bob. You can run only one railroad and still have lots of variety.

To the best of my knowledge the Union Pacific is at the other end of the spectrum having only one paint scheme for diesels if you don't count the heritage engines. I'm not a UP fan so there may have been an oddball diesel but I've only seen UP diesels in their yellow, gray, silver paint.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Way to go EMILE!!! Those colors remind me of my college alma mater, Mansfield State College here in Pa.:smilie_daumenpos:

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Interesting. Very interesting. Thank you for posting these photos. They are very clear and I really like comparing the paint schemes and all.

And I love that Black Diamond - had to add that to my list of locos and need to have. Lovely!

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,417 Posts
Didn't LV have a Blue/yellow paint scheme on a few of their diesels too?
Or was it blueish gray and yellow?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts