Model Train Forum banner
221 - 240 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
I am, and have always been, an handyman DIY'er. But the one thing that I have learned now in these later years in my life is that sitting in a chair with a cold beer, watching a pro do the work definitely has it's merits. Your roof looks great!
Yeah, if it was ME doing the job I'd still be on the tear-off part (IF I had even started it at all) while I can go up in any skyscraper, ride any roller coaster, even been at 39K feet in a plane (still wanting to ride in a helo, strapped in of course), I'm not too keen about high places and especially if there is a cliff or edge, so yeah, on the ground watching a Pro works well here

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 · (Edited)
I got the Bakery in today's mail. Here's an example of painting the brickwork, with and without with light grey on the dark grey brick building

I wiped it down again after taking the pic
Back to work on the electrics after supper

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
A WOOO HOOO milestone moment right here folks, we have LIGHT 💡 in the dark 🌃, well, part of the table that is. I also have the bakery and foundry done but not yet placed. I know about where they will be going. I need to set all the buildings, houses, sheds, and such to see if I need any more to fill any voids

Now to go and glue down the streetlight posts so they won't lean or spin around

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
I can't believe it's been 16 days since posting on here 😲 PART of that was waiting for the slow boat to bring some needed supplies (you'd be surprised at just how many shrink tube pieces you go through with wiring 😵) Well, good news, I have enough of the 1.5mm tubing that I doubt I'll EVER use them all up LOL 1800 of the buggers. Working on and doing some rearranging of the wiring, 1 switch for the commercial buildings, 1 for the street lights, 1 for residential, 1 for the oil tanks complex. So far using 2 power bugs, not full max capacity on them, my calculations on one said 12 LEDs and I have 10 hooked up to it. More pics when I get it all hooked up and working to my satisfaction

I also completely redid my Veterans Memorial and have it populated with some visitors, V for Victory

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
Everything’s really starting to come together, looking good!
Thanks Annie, and just when you THINK you have everything all lined up and ready to go . . . . . . . OH NO, had to go back and make 6 feed wires to the switches THREE INCHES LONGER 😕 (DANG, forgot a pic of the switch panel, I git it later) THEN started the trains up with the track cleaner pads wetted with cleaner juice I bought. The SDs ran ok after a few minutes but the Streak was a different matter, even switching tracks did not improve performance, seems I've been having troubles with it since installing the DCC board 😡😠.

ANYWAY, here are a couple of pics now that all the lights (except the warehouse) are up and running. I'll have to get a different outlet power strip, those power bugs are oversize and take up extra space and no room for turnout bug. I'm gonna go back online and look for another track cleaner, Bright Boy perhaps, something out there will work (I hope), the rubber eraser bars get eat up by rubbing the track

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
Here is the finished switch panel, covers the operation of the turnouts (still need to put lines for track between switches) and the lower for the lights. Now to start back on the various "decorations", green paint for grass, 3 different shades of brown for dirt, 2 greys for rock faces, even found "pavement" so I can add a few road patches and do some driveway and parking lots

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
I worked on all the locos and rolling stock last night and finished up earlier today cleaning the crud off the wheels. Some were worse than others but they ALL got "the Treatment" of the tip of a toothpick run around each and then each truck buffed with a fingernail brush (a little bigger than a toothbrush). Waiting for delivery of a Bright-Boy and a tub of NO-OX-ID A-SPECIAL to clean and treat my track. I've done a couple of alcohol rubs and rubs with a block eraser (old Army trick to clean electrical contacts), no joy and the mess made with rubber bits all over the table. Hopefully the NO-OX will keep the corrosion from forming on the track (one thing that everyone who have used it says happens). The products I bought previously didn't impress me at all, not to mention none of my passenger cars will fit on the gizmo. The locos will run on it but I didn't notice any discoloration from the wheels being cleaned. I'll do the toothpick with a 9volt supplying power to spin the wheels

·
Registered
126 Posts
I worked on all the locos and rolling stock last night and finished up earlier today cleaning the crud off the wheels. Some were worse than others but they ALL got "the Treatment" of the tip of a toothpick run around each and then each truck buffed with a fingernail brush (a little bigger than a toothbrush). Waiting for delivery of a Bright-Boy and a tub of NO-OX-ID A-SPECIAL to clean and treat my track. I've done a couple of alcohol rubs and rubs with a block eraser (old Army trick to clean electrical contacts), no joy and the mess made with rubber bits all over the table. Hopefully the NO-OX will keep the corrosion from forming on the track (one thing that everyone who have used it says happens). The products I bought previously didn't impress me at all, not to mention none of my passenger cars will fit on the gizmo. The locos will run on it but I didn't notice any discoloration from the wheels being cleaned. I'll do the toothpick with a 9volt supplying power to spin the wheels
I did the no ox treatment to my door layout
I had an immediate improvement, if a loco stuttered or stalled it was the locos fault.
The claims of not ever cleaning the track didn't work for me.
I tried that and it did run a long wile but the stalling returned due to dirty rails,
After about a weeks worth of running and no cleaning, the rails were heavily covered in that blank gunk.
After cleaning everything returned to normal. Not sure if cleaning the rails removed the treatment but now if there is an issue a track cleaning will take care of it.
Your layout is looking awesome, great work!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
I did the no ox treatment to my door layout
I had an immediate improvement, if a loco stuttered or stalled it was the locos fault.
The claims of not ever cleaning the track didn't work for me.
I tried that and it did run a long wile but the stalling returned due to dirty rails,
After about a weeks worth of running and no cleaning, the rails were heavily covered in that blank gunk.
After cleaning everything returned to normal. Not sure if cleaning the rails removed the treatment but now if there is an issue a track cleaning will take care of it.
Your layout is looking awesome, great work!
Oh I'm not talking about never having to clean the track again but just to give it a good cleaning and then application of the NO-OX to slow the corrosion that will happen, can't completely stop it

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 ·
A couple of updates and an upgrade, FIRST the Bright Boy got here and I gave the outer loop a buff, scrub, what-have-you then a pair of back to back alcohol wipes. Ran the Streak loco alone for a few minutes and no skips, no blinkys. I'll give the track another good clean before the No-Ox goes on, that should be here tomorrow.

Next, while running the Bright Boy around I found one spot that it was removing the paint from the rail-highway crossing I had made/installed, so OFF it came and I rebuilt the crossing using a couple of leftover kits I had on hand, looks much better and the rails are just a bit higher than the wood

Now to ready the layout for some additional asphalt streets and do some of the scenery

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
Bright Boy'd the entire track, including the sidings, two alcohol wipes and a vacuum before applying the NO-OX. Yeah it feels a little greasy but the indructions say a lil-dab'll do ya. Yes there has been some wheel spin but that was only after adding the 'lectric cars (passengers with light kits), since their metal wheels would need "The Treatment" along with the locos. I switched the Streak to the double track while the SD consists running the hills on the scenic route for another hour then the track gets a wipe and shutdown for 24 hours before a final wipe

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Bright Boy'd the entire track, including the sidings, two alcohol wipes and a vacuum before applying the NO-OX. Yeah it feels a little greasy but the indructions say a lil-dab'll do ya. Yes there has been some wheel spin but that was only after adding the 'lectric cars (passengers with light kits), since their metal wheels would need "The Treatment" along with the locos. I switched the Streak to the double track while the SD consists running the hills on the scenic route for another hour then the track gets a wipe and shutdown for 24 hours before a final wipe
WCB;

After you have used your Brite boy a few times, you will find dirt build up on it. You can clean it with LPS-1, WD-40 contact cleaner, or possibly with alcohol. Your layout progress looks very good!

regards;

Traction Fan :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
WCB;

After you have used your Brite boy a few times, you will find dirt build up on it. You can clean it with LPS-1, WD-40 contact cleaner, or possibly with alcohol. Your layout progress looks very good!

regards;

Traction Fan :)
Thanks for the pat on the back there TF, now to get started again on the scenery. Yeah, the Boy got a bit cruddy on the one side I used, juss seeing how dirty it would get. I thought about the cleaning of it and used a clean stainless toothbrush, lightly of course and it came clean as a new one, then I went over the track a second time before the wipe down and NO-OX application.

I ran the locos and the lighted passengers last night for two hours as the direction said then shut everything down for 24 hours, gave it a good dry wipe just a bit ago and everything runs much better, no skips, no blinkys, nothing. One thing I did do today was with the passenger lights still flickering I pulled the trucks and put just a touch of NO-OX on the copper contact strips as well as the LED contacts inside. No more blinky from them now WOO HOOO. I love it when a plan comes together

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 ·
Still kicking here, did a porch post replacement and the house looks awesome. I'll add some pics in a bit of the layout progress, I've been painting the grass, building and painting driveways (Granite Grey), filling in cracks and gaps in the foam, started with spray foam but didn't like the results, switched to wood filler that I had on hand and like that better. I also had to pull some of the track up, hard to explain but the joint gaps were too big in some spots for my liking and jammed tight on others, also fixed the "easement"(?) for the inclines/declines. Cut back some of the foam around the back side, will fashion some sort of dirt track maintenance road

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 ·
Here are some promised pics of progress made. I've re-done the Tank Farm piping as they (real ones) aren't fed by just one pipe, now each has it's own pipe and valve to the pumphouse, when I set the pump house in place I'll install the larger in-feed pipe and the underground pipe to the tank car rack. I've filled in the gaps in the foam layers and it's ready for paint, some grass and some rock and dirt outcroppings (paint as I go). My paving crew was busy yesterday and finished the hospital parking lot (juss ask and I'll 'splain what I did there). Driveways for several houses also done, either masking tape or white labels painted granite grey.

It's coming along and again is giving me something to do and lets my creative side come out

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Here are some promised pics of progress made. I've re-done the Tank Farm piping as they (real ones) aren't fed by just one pipe, now each has it's own pipe and valve to the pumphouse, when I set the pump house in place I'll install the larger in-feed pipe and the underground pipe to the tank car rack. I've filled in the gaps in the foam layers and it's ready for paint, some grass and some rock and dirt outcroppings (paint as I go). My paving crew was busy yesterday and finished the hospital parking lot (juss ask and I'll 'splain what I did there). Driveways for several houses also done, either masking tape or white labels painted granite grey.
View attachment 563062

View attachment 563063

View attachment 563064

View attachment 563065

It's coming along and again is giving me something to do and lets my creative side come out
WCB;
Looks great! Nice work. (y)

Traction Fan 🙂

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
WCB;
Looks great! Nice work. (y)

Traction Fan 🙂
Thanks again TF. I've got the school bus parking made and finished, and the parking area for the bakery done. I have enough asphalt ready for the warehouse employee parking, the forge building, and the loco repair shed parking as well. Coming right along, not in any real hurry

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
Can anyone give a SWAG of what I've modeled or what this / these will end up being on my layout ?? Painted some scenery last night til I ran out of paint, FEDEX has once again dropped the ball on a delivery, out for delivery on Saturday and now tracking claims "delivery pending" whatever that means (I really don't see how they are still in business, late and super late deliveries, boxes damaged beyond all recognition, items refused due to such damage and they re-deliver in the middle of the night yes, that really happened here)

221 - 240 of 250 Posts