Model Train Forum banner
241 - 250 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
Looks to me like you started an orchard but haven't put the tree tops on it yet. It might be a telphone pole farm, they have to grow those things somewhere, right?
A pole farm, now there is an idea, they'd only be scaled 25 footers, have to find longer party toothpicks for taller poles and would likely be way cheaper than telephone poles proper from the various vendors. I'll look for some today at the store so's I can build my layout "power grid"

But no, good guess, not an orchard or poles

·
Registered
793 Posts
Posts for the chain-link security fence surrounding the tank farm? I used to work at a place that stored hazardous materials in tanks like that, and your new plumbing looks about right.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·
Posts for the chain-link security fence surrounding the tank farm? I used to work at a place that stored hazardous materials in tanks like that, and your new plumbing looks about right.
Thanks GN, I kept looking at the initial plumbing and couldn't quite put me finger on it, THEN it dawned on me - each tank needed it's own feed line so's the gas wouldn't mix with the diesel, etc.

Closer, I'll give it to ya, I've got some chain link but didn't think about posts, it'll be much easier to set it with some of these as posts. Original idea was barbed wire posts

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Can anyone give a SWAG of what I've modeled or what this / these will end up being on my layout ?? Painted some scenery last night til I ran out of paint, FEDEX has once again dropped the ball on a delivery, out for delivery on Saturday and now tracking claims "delivery pending" whatever that means (I really don't see how they are still in business, late and super late deliveries, boxes damaged beyond all recognition, items refused due to such damage and they re-deliver in the middle of the night yes, that really happened here)

View attachment 563189
WCB;

Maybe "Delivery pending" is related to that old history channel series "Ice road truckers" where suicidal maniacs drove loaded semi trucks along a road of ice formed over artic lakes. "Delivery pending" therefore might mean pending the ice cap over hell freezing thick enough to support a Fed X truck? o_O BTW My guess on your latest creation would be some sort of defense against N-scale paratroops.

Traction Fan 😄

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
WCB;

Maybe "Delivery pending" is related to that old history channel series "Ice road truckers" where suicidal maniacs drove loaded semi trucks along a road of ice formed over artic lakes. "Delivery pending" therefore might mean pending the ice cap over hell freezing thick enough to support a Fed X truck? o_O BTW My guess on your latest creation would be some sort of defense against N-scale paratroops.

Traction Fan 😄
Yeah TF, like those Braveheart spiked posts "as long as a man" LOL actually all good ideas but they are my new barbed wire fence posts, will get more chain link for surrounding the Tank Farm

The package came today, now to do some more painting, coming right along here and run the trains some too

OH, hell DID freeze over a few years ago, the Eagles got back together, for a short time

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
The tank farm I worked at for Clark Oil back in the early '90's had a pipe manifold where the contents of any or all tanks could be fed or mixed from one tank to another as well as an incoming river barge feed and rail head feed.

Each tank had it's own pump that was reversable, or the tanks could be gravity/pressure fed depending upon tank level at the time.

We blended gasoline mixures and asphalt mixures in these tanks and they were loaded to over the road tanker trucks for various companies we contracted with.

We made grades of asphalt from AC5 TO AC30.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
The tank farm I worked at for Clark Oil back in the early '90's had a pipe manifold where the contents of any or all tanks could be fed or mixed from one tank to another as well as an incoming river barge feed and rail head feed.

Each tank had it's own pump that was reversable, or the tanks could be gravity/pressure fed depending upon tank level at the time.

We blended gasoline mixures and asphalt mixures in these tanks and they were loaded to over the road tanker trucks for various companies we contracted with.

We made grades of asphalt from AC5 TO AC30.
I didn't know all of that Michael (the complexity), perhaps we can say that the mentioned manifold is housed in the modeled pump house. It just made more sense and realistic to me to have one tank/one pipe. On the other end of the 3 horizontal tanks is the truck loading platform that came in that kit. All told here is 2 kits plus parts of an HO petroleum piping kit and a scratch built building. Pic shows the truck loading platform with red hoses denoting gasoline, green diesel, yellow kerosene, I had to modify that setup a bit due to extremely small plastic parts that broke, I poked around the 'net found what I thought would work here (y) :giggle:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 ·
Taking a break from the layout, letting the paint dry before tackling some more. Some of the rock faces have been done and pretty satisfied how they turned out using the "dry brush method" though you can see some places where it went on a wee bit heavier than intended, oh well LOL. Started with a base of elephant grey the dry brushed granite grey over that and finally dry brushed black. I painted a brown for the dirt transition and again satisfied here (may not look completely real but aren't these layouts supposed to be our "Fantasy Railroads" anyway :sneaky: 😎 ). Oh, and I have no idea what the guy at that house is doing but having a BUNCH of deliveries made today LOL

Yeah I know about the ripple in the pavement, can't seem to keep that one spot down 🤔

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,566 Posts
You built a containment pit for the large tanks, now you need containment for the small tanks.
Or the EPA will shut you down. :geek:
Looking good.

Edit, what's behind the green area? What are you hiding. :)

Reactions: Wooky_Choo_Bacca

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #250 ·
You built a containment pit for the large tanks, now you need containment for the small tanks.
Or the EPA will shut you down. :geek:
Looking good.
Maybe I can bribe someone to hold them off for a bit 🤫 I've got plenty of places I could hide a body or two LOL 😏

I've got some materials that I could fashion a concrete containment wall

241 - 250 of 250 Posts