Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Life Like locomotive like the one in the generic image below
s-l1600 (11).jpg

It runs fine but seems to make a lot of clackity clack in reverse even when powering the motor off the track. In forward mode it hums along perfectly.

I took it apart thinking there must be binding between the gear box and the wheel linkage (I am sure there is a name for this wheel linkage), and reassembled three times and always get the clackity clack in reverse.

Any advice?

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
I suspect you will run it in the forward direction 99% of the time, so I wouldn't worry too much about it......IMO.....

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
If I remember correctly that is based on an old Aristacraft model. They where not the tolerances on their machining was not always the best. Check if when going in reverse one of the axels turns slightly. This could cause the rods to bind and hit something.

·
Registered
225 Posts
This is an older loco, your gonna get sounds that cant be helped from it. And as stated above, you will be running it forward most of the time anyway.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I can think of two things that are different when the engine runs in reverse vice forward: First the motor shaft would be pushing against the opposite bearing vice the one it normally pushes againt when going forward. I would think that greasing the bearings would solve that. Second, the worm gear angle pushes the axle with the gear on it to the opposite side from the side it rests at when going forward. Flip the engine over and push the drive wheels all the way to one side then the other and see if there is anything projecting in the works that is catching. I hope that makes sense. Here is a comparison of the Lifelike and a Silvine Teakettles:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts