Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In one of the train catalogs I noticed that the new style connector that the Life Like cars come with is allot less expensive than the Kaydee ones. Does any one know if these new style Life Like ones are a direct replacement to the old horn hook ones found on the Life Like and Bachmann cars from the early 80s? I have allot of these from when I was a kid and wanted to convert some. Currently I am just using a conversion car to link different types together. All of my main trins have been converted.

·
Registered
241 Posts
You may look into the Bachmann ones also. They are Plastic, but still look just like the knuckles that Kadee makes, and much cheaper. They also work on some cars that the Kadees just dont seem to like.
Kevin

·
Registered
17 Posts
You may look into the Bachmann ones also. They are Plastic, but still look just like the knuckles that Kadee makes, and much cheaper. They also work on some cars that the Kadees just dont seem to like.
Kevin
You will be happier with the Kadees. Others may look the same, but that is as far as it goes. They also have the largest variety as far as lenghth. They also have "over & underset" couplers to make up for different mounting height. Go to thier website & it will tell you what coupler will fit whatever car you have. Jerry

·
Registered
215 Posts
Kadee only I have tried all the others. All it takes is a coupler to get a little loose and drop, the trip pin(little curved wire hanging down) will catch a yurnout or crossing and break the plastic coupler off. Kadee is metal it will either stop the train or cause a derailment no harm done.
Les

·
Registered
215 Posts
I had the perfect example this evening. Pullin a mixed frieght out of track 10 in my yard. A low Kadee caught on a switch / turnout, stopped the train. Backed up and tried it again stopped the train again. found the problem, bent the wire up a little train goes on its way. Everyone happy. If it had been a Bacmann, Mc Henry or other plastic wannabe it probably would have broken off. gotten run over derail several cars and put a flat car out of service.

:worshippy: Kadee.

Les

1 - 7 of 7 Posts