Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
I am new to the forum and new to model trains. I have always wanted to get into trains but never took the plunge. A friend of mine just showed me his layout and what DCC has to offer. I will never look at a model train the same again!

Well, now I'm in the market. I know what I want, I just don't know were to look. I have realized that trains are a very insider hobby. It's hard to find general information on just anything. I will appreciate any help anyone can offer.

I would like a DCC on board EMD E6 with A and B Santa Fe Warbonnet with sound. I am a huge fan of the Santa Fe Warbonnet. My parents had a tyco warbonnet when I grew up. I loved it.

Here are my questions.

My friend has two Katos and I liked them. I have not been able to find a EMD E6 made by Kato. Could I take a body shell from another manufacturer and put on a Kato?

Life-Like Proto 2000 has EMD E6. How well are these to a Kato. Are they noisy. Are they reliable. I do not need it to carry too many cars but I would like to build a layout with lots of grades.

Life-Like uses QSI Quantum Sound. What are peoples opinions on this? Would it be better to get an engine with no sound and put in an aftermarket kit?

Thank-you all vary much. I highly appreciate all of the help.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
First off, welcome to MTF.

Kato does not make and E6, 7, or 8 that I am aware . Mine are mostly P2K's with a couple of Overland Brass units thrown in the mix. F-units would make a decent substitute and give you fewer headaches on tight radius track. 6-wheel drive, as found on the E-units, takes a tad larger radius when it comes to turns on a layout. PA's would be another good choice. Still 6-wheel trucks, however.

As far as sound, I am using Tsunami almost exclusively nowadays. The subject is always up for discussion among modelers, with each modeler having their favorite.

Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome Stationmaster.

Thanks for mentioning Tsunami. I never heard of them until now. That give me something to look into.

The only E-unit that Kado has is the 8/9. It dose not have as much of a slant nose as the E6 though. The F-units look cool. Life-Like makes some great looking F3s.

The 6-wheels look great. I don't want to venture away from them.

You say that the E6 dose not turn well. I am really not sure if that will bother me. When I draw layouts I don't think that I ever draw too tight of turns. Then again, I never thought of turn radius and how a train will handle it. I do not have much education in this.

What is a PA? I don't even know were to look.

Thanks a lot, Stationmaster.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts