Model Train Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Yard Master & Research
10,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)

This is not my video. To ask specific questions visit the owners site linked up below.

tmackinator site

T mac has three sets the 1542 has the A babe Ruth, Caboose and gondola with canisters. 6014,6017,6012. To answer thwe question. The other two seta are uncatalogued with a chun king boxcar. The site explains it that I why I left the link.

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Great looking layout, T ... I especially like the wood truss elevated sections.

Someone you know, or just a YT find?

TJ

·
Yard Master & Research
10,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
That is a search find the owner has three sets of the 520.
You have to visit the site to see the information.

This is not my video. To ask specific questions visit the owners site linked up below.
This is the grizz site

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I ask this very unkowningly ...

It's not that common to have overhead electric trains on freight service, is it ???
Sure it was.

Many PRR GG1's ended their careers in freight service. Conrail went as far as converting #4800 for pulling freight only.

The Virginian ran many electrified freight lines.

Those engines eventually went to N&W when it took over the Virginian. N&W removed the electrified portions of the lines and the engines were sold to the New Haven. They went down the line through Penn Central and Conrail.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Grandpa R,
My set has the slightly different cars than T-man.
I have the Lionel Line caboose # 6017, the Lionel gondola (no contents)
with road # 6112, and the Baby Ruth PRR boxcar # 6014.

Also, the cab on my 520 engine has tabs (one broken off) that tuck
into the frame. This is in contrast to the screw-type noted earlier.

Love the layout videos.:thumbsup:

R

·
Yard Master & Research
10,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
The nice part of this thread is the motor is typical of all the Lionel motors, each with slight differences. Cleaning is the same. The electric parts are similiar if not identical. The cleaning methods apply to all of them. The e unit too is typical and shows enough corrosion to want to throw it out, but it works when proper care is given.

All of the 50's instructions with sets stress cleaning and oiling, just about anything works. Mostly it is a matter of preference. It doesn't hurt to show some caution.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Very nice description of the whole cleaning process,looks cool,Love that old lionel

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well that time of year again, starting working on the trains. The 520 is dead seems like some sort of short. Re followed the cleaning process but nothing. Is there a way to bypass the Eunit? At this point I dont care what direction it goes in I'd just like it to go.

Thanks
Dennis

·
Yard Master & Research
10,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
look here for the diagram

The best way is to disconnect it and conect one brush to the center roller and the othe r brush to the field coil.

I would just clean the connections.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks,
I took the Eunit apart after looking at two Utube videos I found, both finger contact plates have issues and will need replacing. Taking one wire from each brush to the transformer and first you get a hum and then smoke! Everything spins freely without power applied, one of the carbon brushes is a lot shorter than the other, might look into getting new brushes next.

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
There's two different ways a Lionel loco would be wired ...

Type 1, if one end of field coil is grounded to frame --
(This is the type of wire circuit shown in the link from T-Man, above.)
Power goes from center rail (transformer hot) to one brush can, through armature, out other brush can to one end of field coil, through coil, then out other end of field coil to frame/ground, and from there to wheels, track, back to transformer.

Type 2, if one brush can is grounded to frame --
Power goes from center rail (transformer hot) to one end of field coil, through coil, out other end of coil to one one brush can, through armature, out other brush can to frame/ground, and from there to wheels, track, back to transformer.

TJ

41 - 60 of 64 Posts