Model Train Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love old HO stuff! Not only Marx, but Lionel, American Flyer, Penn Line, Hobbyline, etc., but finding repair info or parts diagrams can be really difficult.

I found nothing about lighting my 9606, which true to it's Marx heritage, ran perfect from the minute it hit the track after sitting no one knows how long in a heavily damaged set box. A total clean and lube is coming.

What bulb should I use and how is it mounted? The boiler front looks a lot worse than it is and I know it needs to be "derusted" but I didn't want to go fooling around until I know what I should do. Note that in the photos the boiler front is 90 degrees off from it's normal position
The arm marked in red arrow in photo 2 swivels and it looks look the bulb is somehow attached to that but I saw no mountings.

Please help.

Wheel Combat vehicle Self-propelled artillery Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Wheel Automotive tire Auto part
Engineering Machine Auto part Automotive wheel system Motor vehicle

By the way, there is so little Marx HO info, I scanned the instructions that came with the set.

Book Font Publication Paper Parallel
Font Book Parallel Paper Paper product

·
Yard Master & Research
11,869 Posts
I would say whatever bulb fits. At that scale it is hard to tell. The arm on the rivet swivels allowing you to place the bulb in the nose of the cover. I was thinking of the small Lionel bulb but the socket is large. The 8352-300?
Try a normal bulb from an O scale engine for size comparison. Is that an AC engine?

Ruler Font Audio equipment Event Circle

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
The manual Johnboy posted says HO, the track is 2 rail
and the manual says use DC only...but it sure looks like
an 0 scale loco. I didn't know Marx ever made HO. They
make mostly 027 gauge.

Don

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"I would say whatever bulb fits. At that scale it is hard to tell. The arm on the rivet swivels allowing you to place the bulb in the nose of the cover. I was thinking of the small Lionel bulb but the socket is large. The 8352-300?"

That's exactly what I'm asking.....there is no socket. The only way to mount bulb would be to swing away the contact arm, put the bulb in the hole of the boiler front and swing back the contact arm but this would leave parts of the bulb, either the "glass" or the base touching the metal of the boiler front.

So if I understand correctly, contact arm would touch the center of the bulb base, and then I would need to find a bulb where the metal base but not the "glass" touches the metal in the hole of the boiler front.

Volts?

·
Yard Master & Research
11,869 Posts
14v is standard, 12v will work. With DC a LED, would work. Four diodes would have it work forward and backward. A capacitor helps with voltage spikes. Finally a resistor between 600 and 1000 ohms.

·
Yard Master & Research
11,869 Posts
A picture would help with a standard bulb to get a look at the scale. See if a 5 mm dowel will fit in. Or better yet use a drill to measure the hole.
If you cannot find one I can set you up with a LED. Just post me. Click my image and start a conversation.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A picture would help with a standard bulb to get a look at the scale. See if a 5 mm dowel will fit in. Or better yet use a drill to measure the hole.
If you cannot find one I can set you up with a LED. Just post me. Click my image and start a conversation.

I'm don 't know what you mean by a standard bulb but I will measure the hole and get back to you asap. If I have something that will fit in the hole I'll try it.

And thanks for the offer on the LED but I'm one of the old fashioned sort and would like to keep it as made.

·
Yard Master & Research
11,869 Posts
A standard bulb is a 1449-300 A 14 volt bulb with a small globe and screw base. If a large globe fits I use a 432-300. The bayonet version is pictured above the 1402'. Most postwar Lionel's use them.
My offer stands for the LED. I believe a LED lght is better than no light and it can be used until this bulb is identified.
This is the first I have heard of Marx HO. It is neat stuff. This fall I will look for one.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
This photo shows the type of base required. I have no idea what it’s called.
Do search. Ebay,,, rivarossi replacement bulbs.
As mentioned above,
Ruler Office ruler Measuring instrument Font Number
Ruler Office ruler Measuring instrument Font Number

You need to know the diameter from the locomotive.
Tough to find sometimes and pricey.
I agree with the others- go with an LED+resistor.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
York is coming up soon and think I hold off and see what i can find there. I have a booth in silver hall and maybe I'll just sit it on my table (if my health conditions don't force me to be a no show) with a sign do you have a bulb for this loco?!

·
Yard Master & Research
11,869 Posts
That set up is interesting. I would use brass tubular stock to hold a 3mm bulb that has no base but only two wires and for the end, use the Lionel bulb contact. One wire gets insulated and fed through the contact. The contact is a black insulated circle with the center rivet and is used in bulb sockets. A grain of wheat bulb would fit, they were used in HO slot cars. The brass tube would have to measured out.
Just a thought.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts