Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody here added emergency warning lights to their police or fire vehicles? I've seen a couple on youtube, and there are some kits in the Walthers catalogue.

Just wondering how hard this is to do. The effects look real nice.

They make kits for DOT trucks, Fire engines, Police cars, you name it.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,256 Posts

I made my own using 2 separate flasher circuit kits from Bakatronics and 1.5mm LEDs. I set them on 2 different speeds.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,651 Posts
Lights, electronic flashers, LED's

I know, I'm an O gauger but I'm a chief mechanic for a friend's HO Layout. I started by installing a light kit to an Amtrak Coach. He was thrilled and returned with a FRED light kit. With a 3/32/drill the LED fitted through the boxcar wall. A couple wipers on the axles and presto a flashing light. For NewB's (Flashing Rear End Device).
Kits are very convenient,but I'm getting into making the boards. Model RR application sources are scarce I had good luck with WWW.rollins.com .His site is for DC controlled Ho.
Also I'm using a 555 Timer, all sort of tutorials can be found on the web for it's basic apllications.Try http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/projects/flashl.htm

Anyway, with a chip, capacitor, 2 resistors and a 9v battery you can make 2 Led's blink.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yes I am sure it would be fairly simple to do, I suggest removing the strobe top and drilling your holes in the top of your car, Then drill two small holes in the strobe. Take two mini leds and put them into the holes you drilled in the strobe. Headlights are even simpler. Just feed your wires through the car and under the layout. do all of your wireing under the layout for a cleaner look. if possible, put a car interior in the car to hide the wires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts