Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have a Sam's Club near you, and have a membership (or not, but everything costs a bit more without one), and you like orange juice, you must try their fresh squeezed orange juice. It costs about 8 bucks a bottle, but it's worth every penny. It is truly the elixir of the gods, so-to-speak. No kidding, I think it just might be the best liquid I have ever consumed in my life.

Bob, rapidly sneaking up on 74. (with trepidation)

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Tropicana OJ is the second course of my three course breakfast every morning. I'll have to pick up some Sam's OJ next time we go Sam's shopping.

Sam's portions are usually huge. How big is an $8 bottle? Pulp or no pulp?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's 59 ounces, and, by God, it's the best OJ I have ever consumed, and, I have squeezed my own. No pulp that I have found.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Poo-Poo time ...

Even fresh squeezed OJ is not as healthy as some believe. If you want to eat healthy, eat an orange.

"Not from Concentrate" may actually be from concentrated juice. And that delicious Tropicana juice has been pulled apart, segregated and reassembled to delight your taste buds.

Wikipedia on OJ.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
I like mine with pulp. It sticks in your teeth...gives you something to nibble on later. :D

I don't drink it for health...I just love the taste! $8 a bottle is too much for this guy...I mix mine from frozen.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Sugar levels in fruit juice can cause a significant spike in blood sugar levels, increasing the risk of hyperglycemia (too high blood sugar levels). The glycemic index, which is used to reflect the impact on blood sugar levels of individual foods, places orange juice between 66 and 76 on a scale of 100

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hmmm. At $8 per 59 oz, that equates to a bit over $17 per gallon. I think not!
Buy a flat of oranges and use the hand juicer you probably already have somewhere in the kitchen and get busy. Or as another here said; just eat the whole orange. Better for you anyway as a 'whole food'.
I like orange as much as anyone but, $17+ ?? Nope.
"I'm obviously not invested in orange juice futures."

I did however go the local train swap here this wknd and aquired a GG1 in H0 scale for $20 so, there's that by comparison.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm. At $8 per 59 oz, that equates to a bit over $17 per gallon. I think not!
Buy a flat of oranges and use the hand juicer you probably already have somewhere in the kitchen and get busy. Or as another here said; just eat the whole orange. Better for you anyway as a 'whole food'.
I like orange as much as anyone but, $17+ ?? Nope.
"I'm obviously not invested in orange juice futures."

I did however go the local train swap here this wknd and aquired a GG1 in H0 scale for $20 so, there's that by comparison.
Heck, it's all relative. some folks will buy a new Lionel locomotive for prices in excess of $2K. I remember when you could buy a good bottle of booze for under 8 bucks. Try to find one now. Most stuff I like to drink runs about forty dollars a bottle, and that isn't ever real good stuff.

Milk is 3 dollars a gallon, gas is about 3 dollars a gallon, and I happen to like the taste of this orange juice, so I am willing to pay for my pleasure. I don't have many in my life, so this is what I choose to do.

Call it an indulgence, if you will. Everyone is still free to make their own choices. This is still the land of the free. (except for the cost of orange juice, LOL)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Just wait a while, we'll find out it has weed killer mixed in that gives it that wonder taste.
More likely an insecticide. Specifically, Temik. No longer sold but who knows how much is still out there in farmers storehouses?
Extremely toxic and the thing that always amazed me about it is it’s a systemic chemical. That means it is absorbed by the roots and gets INSIDE the plant, so when the bugs feed on the plants they die.

Amazing to me because they used it on food crops, including citrus, potatoes and peanuts. I worked in the nursery and greenhouse business for years but never used it. It’s a great insecticide but way too dangerous.
But I do drink orange juice (cut 50% with water), and eat potatoes and peanuts.
https://blogs.ext.vt.edu/ag-pest-advisory/bayer-agrees-to-terminate-all-uses-of-temik-insecticide-aldicarb/

·
Registered
665 Posts
This is a rhetorical question for any and all to ponder. I am not accusing anyone of anything.

What is it with when someone states something that they enjoy, people come out of the woodwork to tear it down?

Do they feel they are superior to that person or do they feel inferior and don't like someone feeling better than them?

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
This is a rhetorical question for any and all to ponder. I am not accusing anyone of anything.

What is it with when someone states something that they enjoy, people come out of the woodwork to tear it down?

Do they feel they are superior to that person or do they feel inferior and don't like someone feeling better than them?
I guess since it's rhetorical, I won't comment... :cool:

·
Registered
671 Posts
I can only speak for myself, but I wasn’t trying to tear anything down. You may have noted in the last sentence of that post that I too drink OJ.
(Last sentence of this post deleted in the interest of promoting comity on the site.)

·
Registered
1,601 Posts

Just a public service msg. for the uninformed. For example, that great tasting Tropicana brand has zero fiber. The equivalent amount of whole oranges provides over 40% of the daily recommend amount of fiber.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts