Model Train Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Admin
45,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly is in the Lionel 10-5906-001 Sound Activation Switch? I find very little on it, but some obscure reference mentioned a D-Cell battery. I have a Rail-Sounds boxcar, and I'd like to get a reverse polarity DC bias to trigger the bell. If this is just a D-Cell with a swtich, I might consider building one, since I've been unable to locate one for sale. I'm guessing there might be a component or two to allow the A/C to pass while injecting the DC signal.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,864 Posts
The switch is a glass heater element with some diodes. To buy one will costs you 12 bucks on e bay. I recommend a CW-80 transformer with the whistle and bell button. Stay away from earlier whistle controllers they do not have diodes, but ancient selenium buttons. I have collected some but have not indulged myself. This question has been dealt with before just search button in this thread.

·
Admin
45,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I did a search, but I didn't actually get an answer to what's inside the box. :) I looked on eBay, and I didn't find any reasonably priced transformers with both the whistle and bell button. The CW-80 is more expensive than the button, and I already have several transformers. I'll keep looking...

·
Yard Master & Research
10,864 Posts
The button cannot be copied because the heater element is not a standard component that is sold. The diodes are 1n4003.

I couldn't find the plan in the CTT forum, too many hits.
But I did find the eledctric rr co. They have plans for the relay and button under hobby corner. I am only a genius in the making and haven't gotten this far yet. Good Luck.

Attachments

·
Admin
45,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just connected a 3.5 ohm resistor and a diode in parallel, and managed to get the horn and bell to work connecting it in series with the track voltage. Since the transformers actually supply a boost voltage to the whistle, my rig had the effect of slowing the train down instead of speeding it up. OTOH, I think I have a plan.

I can actually find a small 3V 5A transformer, couple that with a switch, diode and resistor, I think I can make one of these.

I could also just add a switch to the 1033 transformer to reverse the polarity of the diode, I already had to replace the selenium rectifiers with diodes in them anyway. This would allow the use of the existing diode/resistor in the 1033, not to mention a convenient whistle/bell control already build-in. I just have to figure out a way to get the switch outside neatly.

The variable resistor that automatically comes in is a nice touch in the whistle button, but I can live with the standard way. :)

·
Admin
45,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the transformer repair was pretty simple. I just ripped the rectifier disk out (pull the tin nut securing it off), drilled a hole in that plate sized for a stud mounted diode, and hung the resistor right below it. The wiring was the same as was there, the components are just in different places. Again, the hardest part is the physical layout, I had to bend the top lug of the diode over to fit the case and find a spot for the resistors.

As for the 1033 whistle switch, I was trying to figure a way to put the switch on the top, but mounting the switch where it doesn't interfere with the controls and what's under the plate is a problem. A cord out to a small switchbox would be a way, I'll have to consider that.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,864 Posts
Yes, both the 5906 and 8251 are sound buttons. Do you know of any difference? They do the same thing. One is a more modern version.

It's been a long time since I answered a technical question of any relevance for John.:D

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Well, I picked up one of the railsounds locos thinking I didn't need anything else to run in conventional mode. Now I discover that, with my transformers, I can only make the horn or the bells work but not both.

Gunrunner--did you make any more detailed instructions on how to modify a 1033 to add this functionality? I'm not sure the Lionel sound activation button is worth the price.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Guess I'll have to try Big Ed's trick and make my question big enough to see!

Well, I picked up one of the railsounds locos thinking I didn't need anything else to run in conventional mode. Now I discover that, with my transformers, I can only make the horn or the bells work but not both.

Gunrunner--did you make any more detailed instructions on how to modify a 1033 to add this functionality? I'm not sure the Lionel sound activation button is worth the price.

·
Admin
45,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Guess I'll have to try Big Ed's trick and make my question big enough to see!
NO!

Does that help? ;)

Truthfully, the pictures I posted of the inside of the bell/whistle box should be sufficient for most folks to build one, there is no complicated stuff in there. ;) I never figured out a good place to add a bell button to a 1033.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
These pictures must be in a different thread. Can you point me in the right direction to them?

Large print edition:

Can you point me in the right direction to them?

:laugh:

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I did a search but didn't find that thread. Wasn't sure what search terms to use. Thanks for the second link. The first was too small to read!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts