Model Train Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Admin
43,521 Posts
Not sure who you're referring to, but if it's Jeff at The Train Tender, after you make a couple of orders, he sends you an invoice and you can pay it when you get the parts. I don't really care that he doesn't take credit cards, no problem for me. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yeah it was in response to your "whats not to like" comment. I'm not trying to speak poorly about him at all. When I was rebuilding my 671 I needed a bunch of parts quickly before I went out of town. I didn't have time to wait for a check to move across the country. He mentioned he didn't want to have to raise his prices to take credit cards but most all other parts people take CCs and the prices are all about the same. I would happily pay an extra 2-3% to get quality service and parts in a timely manner as well.

·
Admin
43,521 Posts
Well, after the first couple of orders, you'll have that convenience. You just have to prime the pump. :) Normally, when I order from him and he sends it first class, I get it about the second day after emailing him the order, can't beat that. :)

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,415 Posts
Well, after the first couple of orders, you'll have that convenience. You just have to prime the pump. :) Normally, when I order from him and he sends it first class, I get it about the second day after emailing him the order, can't beat that. :)
John, on my order through e mails he gave me a total and told me to send a check. This was my first order.
For some reason my check took one day longer to reach him.
But he shipped to me with no waiting for check to get to him.

2 or 3 days later (quick) I got my parts all packaged nice like in TJ's picture.
All labeled too.
I have used other parts places and just get a baggie of parts all together, no labels or nothing.

I got a list (for a while now) guess who I will order from from now on?:D:thumbsup:

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,415 Posts
John, on my order through e mails he gave me a total and told me to send a check. This was my first order.
For some reason my check took one day longer to reach him.
But he shipped to me with no waiting for check to get to him.

2 or 3 days later (quick) I got my parts all packaged nice like in TJ's picture.
All labeled too.
I have used other parts places and just get a baggie of parts all together, no labels or nothing.

I got a list (for a while now) guess who I will order from from now on?:D:thumbsup:
Yep, he has them all separately sealed in little packets, very tidy. I've gotten parts from other places like you describe.

Yes....give the man a little exposure here,

NEED O GAUGE PARTS?
CHECK OUT THE TRAIN TENDER,:thumbsup:
http://www.ttender.com/partslist.html

·
16,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Simply put: Jeff is wonderful, in my opinion. He's has literally spent hours on the phone and via email with me helping sort out my various restoration projects and parts needs. I can't thank him enough for all of the knowledge that he's freely contributed!

TJ

·
16,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I've had another "junker" 1688 sitting on my bench, and I recently picked up (ebay) another Lionel Jr style motor (with O27 tag) that's likely from a 1688, too.

I've started to clean up / service the motors and e-units. Not sure what I'll do with these, yet ... I might drop one into another 1681 loco. For now, I'll just get 'em running.

TJ

Attachments

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,415 Posts
I've had another "junker" 1688 sitting on my bench, and I recently picked up (ebay) another Lionel Jr style motor (with O27 tag) that's likely from a 1688, too.

I've started to clean up / service the motors and e-units. Not sure what I'll do with these, yet ... I might drop one into another 1681 loco. For now, I'll just get 'em running.

TJ

Something wrong with the picture link.

All I see is a little square box with what looks like a green mountain and a white line in the lower right hand corner.

When I open up to post this I see a link.

This,

Hmmm, I added the link and it shows up as the box when I post?:eek:hwell:

I await in anticipation for your next master piece. :smokin::thumbsup:

·
Registered
200 Posts
TJ,

Just catching up on some post and came across your before and after restoration. That is some very fine work. I too like the semi gloss look and looks just like a brand new one might have looked.:smilie_daumenpos:

·
16,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Thanks, ICO ... Much appreciated.

Ed ... Not sure what's causing the pic glitch. I'm on a tablet now, but I'll have a look from the laptop tomorrow.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,415 Posts

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,415 Posts
Oh, wait a minute in the post #68 it is showing 2 motors now.

·
16,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Metamorphisis ...

I finished a quick-n-dirty rehab of these two 1688 motors, and in the process, turned them into likely-candidate 1681 motors. The essential difference (other then the wheel type / spokes) is that the 1688 has its headlamp mounted remotely, whereas the 1681 has its headlamp mounted integrally on a crossarm at the front of the motor. I have a few extra crossarm-sockets, so I added one to each motor.

In the interest of time, I didn't do a full rewire ... only partial, where it was really needed. Everything checks out OK, though, and both motors run through e-unit cycles nicely.

TJ

Attachments

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,415 Posts
You ought to clean up the e unit on the bottom motor before you use it?
No need letting that rust corrode up anymore then it is?

·
16,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I tried, Ed ... with my stainless brush. It didn't do much, though. The chrome-like plating on the e-unit is flaking off, and the base steel underneath is rusting.

I'll admit my efforts on these two motors is (intentionally) a lot more quick-n-dirty than some of my other rehabs. I might team these with some shells for a quick sale at some point.

Cheers,

TJ

·
16,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Comet,

I use the term "Lionel Jr" to refer to this specific type of Lionel prewar motor. It was used on 1681, 258, early 1688, early 1689. That said, at some point with the 1689, Lionel changed the emblem badge on the bottom of the motor ... instead of "Lionel Jr", the badge says "Lionel O27". But it's essentially the same motor.

I don't know if there's an "official" name for the specific motor style, but I've tossed around the "Lionel Jr" tag a lot, and it's sort of stuck here at MTF.

Cheers,

TJ

61 - 80 of 80 Posts