Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Postwar 2349 IS mint, never been run and my Postwar Celebration 2349 is in like new condition. What is interesting if not amazing, the gold paint used on the 2 geeps looks identical. After 50 years or so Lionel was able to match the color..

There are some minor differences ;
The deck on the Postwar version is smooth
The deck on the PWC version has the skid resistant plating.

The handrails on the Postwar version cab are chrome.
The handrails are gold extension on the PWC cab.

The 2 holes in the front top are open on the Postwar version.
The 2 holes in the front top are filled in on the PWC version.

Photos of the 2 Lionel 2349 Northern Pacific GP's.

Bill

P4250011.JPG

P4250012.JPG

P4250009.JPG
P4250010.JPG

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Bill, how did you happen to have the mint Post War engine? To my mind anything that old that has never been run must be extremely rare.
Pete

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bill, how did you happen to have the mint Post War engine? To my mind anything that old that has never been run must be extremely rare.
Pete
Pete, there is a story behind that PW 2349. It is part of the 1960 Northern Pacific Super O Space Set. I came across the set about 30 years ago at a Estate Sale, so it was about 30 years old at that time. It was the only train item in the estate sale. It was in the master carton along with everything else associated with that set. The master carton was pretty beat up but everything else in the carton looked like it had never been used. That set came without a transformer so I had a pretty good idea that it was purchased not knowing it was not operable without purchasing a transformer. I am guessing it was put in an attic, looked at but never set-up. So I purchased the set for $300. When I got it home it became apparent that it was never used and all the rolling stock was still in the original boxes.

A few photos of the set

Bill

P4250001.JPG

P4250002.JPG

P4250003.JPG

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Very cool Bill. Plus its Super O set, my favorite track. Would all that track have been included in that set?

Pete

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very cool Bill. Plus its Super O set, my favorite track. Would all that track have been included in that set?

Pete
Hi Pete, yep, it was a figure 8 set so a lot of curves. Per Greenbergs set guide the set came with 18 curve, 8 straight sections and one 90 degree crossover.

Bill

·
Registered
1,991 Posts

Pete
I know what you mean. Some modern track is more authentic, "scale". But there is something about Super O track. The look; railroad ruggedness ... hard to describe.

T'is a shame it didn't last. If it was currently being manufactured, it would have been my choice. I haven't bought my track for two of three loops. I may have another look at the used market.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Hats off to you nice to see a few and like yours in that type of condition still around.Thanks for the thread about it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have a postwar #2349 NP GP9. It is an excellent runner, does really well climbing the graduated trestle set with super o track. In my opinion, it is the best looking postwar geep Lionel made.

BB56B2C1-7CC8-40E0-B722-19FBF9C9D454.jpeg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts