Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have one of these here? Wondering if its a powerful engine that can pull tree trunks out.

·
Registered
614 Posts
It should have the same pulling power as any other single vertical-motored loco equipped with Magnetraction, such as the 2023 FA diesel.

For pulling power, you need 2 motors, such as in the 2333 F3's.

Larry

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Can't say I own one myself, but the features should give you a pretty good idea of how it'd compare to other locomotives of that vintage as far as performance.

The motor and die-cast trucks I'm 99% positive are the same as used in the F3s of the era. Just bear in mind that it only has one powered truck.

Magnetraction

Stamped steel frame with a Die-Cast fuel tank.

As Larry mentioned, it won't have the power of a dual motored F3, but I think you'd find it would have plenty of power for average running conditions. I'm not sure how much the weight difference (if there even is much of a difference) between the Die-Cast frame of the F3s and the stamped steel frame/diecast fuel tank on the EP5 would factor into things.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have noticed the prices of F3's, especially the 2333 are all over the place. $150 - $1500. According to Greenbergs "good" ones should sell for $225 but as we all know ebay has ruined those values. I get decent prices at shows but the products are 90% junk. People just bring their problems in a box, buts that's ok, I fix them

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I've never had an issue with the pulling power of my Williams diesels with dual motors (traction tires probably help a lot too). The only difference with that ALCO would be the weight since it's smaller than either of the locomotives I have.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have more than one #2350 series. They have a lighter overall weight than the metal-framed #2023-style Alcos, so they really pull more like typical geeps of that era. Decent pullers, and probably exactly like the #400-series Budd cars which have similar stamped-steel bodies, horn, etc. spread out over 16 inches. With only one motor, they're still good pullers if treated right and maintained properly.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts