Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am trying to determine if this is a reproduction shell on the 2358. Inside the shell reads 2350-5 and it does not have the clips to wire the pantographs on the inside. The engine inside is correct.

Trimix

Attachments

·
Moderator Torpedo Emeritus
3,016 Posts
Body/Shell Numbering

Trimix, The shell or body is NOT a reproduction, as you may think. You have to understand how Lionel used various numbers, with MOLDS and TRIMMED bodies. Not all bodies or shells, for all the different locos produced, had numbers cast into the MOLD, but a vast majority did have them. In your case, the 2350; 2351; 2352; & 2358 locos all shared the same body/shell. The number that was part of the MOLD was in fact 2350-5, for all four locomotives. The confusion comes in, when you look at a service manual, that shows different numbers, other than 2350-5. Those numbers actually represent how the 2350-5 shell was TRIMMED.

The 2350-5 body TRIMMED as New Haven carried a number of 2350-2, per the service manual.
The 2350-5 body TRIMMED as Milwaukee is 2351-2
The 2350-5 body TRIMMED as Pennsylvania is 2352-2
The 2350-5 body TRIMMED as Great Northern is 2358-2.

Another example of body mold number, carried through on a different loco, is the MOLD # 671-3. If you looked at the bodies of a Lionel 671; 681; 682; & 2020 loco's, even with the early 1946 version, through until the end of production, ALL HAVE 671-3 as the MOLD number. Each one has a different TRIMMED number in the service manual.

That should explain Lionel's use of numbers with MOLD numbers, versus TRIMMED numbers for different Road Names.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Teledoc,

Thank you so much for this information. It makes sense now. When i saw the the 2350-2 in the shell i could not find anything on the internet to help me with this. I sure lionel used the same molds for a lot of different engines. As for my 2358 i happy to know it not a reproduction shell.

Thanks again !

Trimix

·
3,016 Posts
Trimix, The numbering can be confusing, until you get to analyze certain items. The same system includes tenders, such as a 2020W, 6020W, or a 6066. They all start with the 6066T mold, and railings, or grab irons, create the different tenders, and the type of couplers attached. The slopeback tenders, all use the 1615-53 shell, but the markings, frames with or without steps, and the trucks used, separate one from another. It's simple, once you know the scheme that Lionel used.

Some, but not many of the Prewar items are marked by mold or casting numbers. The common 1689E loco shares the same shell as the Rare 289E that they crammed an 0 gauge motor into the 027 shell. You will find the number 289E-1 on some of the 1689 locos, but not all issues. The Prewar was hit or miss with casting/molding numbers.:)

·
3,016 Posts
Spence, I wholeheartedly agree that this is the BEST FORUM to be a part of. It makes no difference what gauge you model, old Prewar to modern equipped locos, detailing, etc., you can usually get an answer from its members. OGR is primarily "0" gauge, and just that. This forum covers ALL gauges. We cover from the beginnings of 1900 to 2017. It's great to be a part of this forum.:):)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.