Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am thinking about purchasing a Lionel prewar electric 248 locomotive. Is it possible to install a conventional "E" unit less lever to the motor and still have the motor fit in the shell?

Thank you, swede

·
Yard Master & Research
10,636 Posts
As I see it you have three options. Take the conventional unit and cut the frame so the coil will fit like the conventional motor. There is clearance on either side maybe enough to mount the reverse unit but you will need a brace A marx unit may have more clearance.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response. T-Man.

Have not purchased the 248, yet. If still available, I'll buy and see if either reverse unit will actually fit. Your comments make me optimistic.

swede

·
Moderator Torpedo Emeritus
3,016 Posts
I have a 248, and tried different positions of a standard PW E-unit. There isn’t enough room, without Major body surgery, or cutting. It’s not worth the hassle.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
This Link to a another forum has a discussion on 248 modifications. Sorry no E-unit hack but there are more pictures of the 248 motor like this one (a third of the way down the page).

248 Motor.png

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
T-Man, Doc and Mike, thank you for the additional information. Looking closely at Mike's photo link, I don't think it is practical to think about jamming an "E" unit in.
I may attempt to buy this particular 248 anyway and then take a close look.

Thanks, swede

·
3,016 Posts
The one conceivable solution is an Electronic E unit, but I have ZERO experience with them, or how they are wired, compared to the Old type.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There will have to be a next time for me to acquire a 248 and get a personal look. The one I was looking at sold for a lot more than I was willing to pay. Still, very good info for another time.

Thank you, swede

·
Yard Master & Research
10,636 Posts
When you do buy one make sure the wheels are good. Installing new ones require a press and some filing . I have only done that a few times. I find the factory holes too small and use a circular file on them. If you go there prepare yourself for an adventure.

The electronic board is also an option. I forgot that one. Way to go Doc!

·
3,016 Posts
Swede, If and when you try to get a 248, just make sure the wheels are good. To re-wheel one, will cost $40 minimum for set of 4. Also check to see what material the gears are made of. A lot of originals has fiber gears which have tendency to chip teeth, or just wear out. There are brass gears available from most suppliers.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
T-Man and Doc, thanks. The wheels on the one that went bye bye were excellent but I know what you mean. The wheels crumbled on one different model I bought. Luckily I found a replacement motor with good wheels for less than the cost of 4 new wheels.

As for a electronic reverse unit, I can't visualize how it would fit, either. However, I still have the one I sought assistance with a couple months ago. All the parts are here but the enthusiasm for unsoldering and soldering parts on the circuit board has not surfaced yet.

swede

·
Yard Master & Research
10,636 Posts
Some ideas.

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
T-Man, they stole your idea!.

If the dimensions of the two shells are the same, it sure looks like a Lionel "E" unit should fit.
Photo is a bottom view of a 252.

swede

Attachments

·
3,016 Posts
Swede, I tried placing an E unit as T-man showed above, then attempted to place the body onto the frame. There isn’t enough clearance (height of E-unit), to let the body close onto the frame.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, Doc.
The height of the Marx reverser is the same as the Lionel (less lever), so it is not a fit, either.

swede

1 - 20 of 39 Posts