Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you need any special tools to replace the axle bushings? The ones on my 253 have some slop in them. The bushings are not expensive. Any tricks for the install?

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
I replaced axle bushing on a small Lionel tinplate ... installed them with a small dab of Loctite RED, and that appeared to do the trick. Not sure if it's the "accepted method", but it did work OK for me. (Make sure you don't get the Loctite in the bore of the bushing.)

TJ

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that red locktite works great for a lot of stuff. It just may work. I think I read that there might be a tool for this to crimp the sides of the bushing, but i do not have one.

The red locktite is the best alternative so far.

Thank you
John

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replaced a set today with the red locktite. Probably reassemble tomorrow, see how it works. Red locktite is very strong. Used to use heat to get any bolt to loosen.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I know that red locktite works great for a lot of stuff. It just may work. I think I read that there might be a tool for this to crimp the sides of the bushing, but i do not have one.

The red locktite is the best alternative so far.

Thank you
John
A question? Did you have an axle in place while the Loctite dries to ensure the bushings lined up nicely?

Just a question, don't know if that would be beneficial or needed.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ran the engine and three cars for about 30 minutes total today. No issues so far.
Yes I did push an axle through both bushings as soon as they were in place.

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts