Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always wanted a Lionel 255e engine. Price was always too high for my budget. Picked up a 255e shell in excellent condition and price. My question is are the 255e and 263E parts interchangeable? I am attempting to build a 255E around the 255E shell I have. My question is are the parts basically the same that I could use for this project? I have a bunch of 263E parts hanging around to start the project. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
As T-man recommended, you need to consult Olsen's. I suggest you download and print the entire service manuals for the 255, 260 and 263. There seems to be many common parts between the 255 - 260 - 263. Front and trailing trucks ... the motor ...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys I knew I could count on you. I must be getting old. I forgot that I have the Olsen CD set. DUH!!! By the way does Olsen's still sell parts anymore? I know that had trouble a few years back. Just in case I need to order something I might not have. You guys are the best!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I don't know about Olsen's parts, but Train Tender has a many parts listed under prewar.. Some parts have multiple Lionel numbers, but TT may only list it under one number. So if don't see it listed, email Jeff at Train Tender. He may likely have it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update. I'm 3/4 of the way on parts for the 255e project. I never realized I had so many unmarked parts hanging around my parts bins. I will post pics when I'm ready to put it all together. Thanks again for all your help guys.

Wildcat

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just an update. I'm 3/4 of the way on parts for the 255e project. I never realized I had so many unmarked parts hanging around my parts bins. I will post pics when I'm ready to put it all together. Thanks again for all your help guys.

Wildcat
Almost finished the 255e project. I ran into two problems. The boiler front headlight ring made by LTI/MTH does not fit on the boilerfront. I is too small. I talked with Jeff at the train tender and he said he is aware of the problem but doesn't have an answer other than sanding the front down so the ring fits a tough job he stated. The problem is trying to find a close match to the boiler color to paint the frame and boiler front. I bought several cans whose can tops matched very close but did not dry the same color. Any suggestions or ideas would be helpful. So close yet so far.

Wildcat

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I don't know if this one will have the same issue. Googling "Lionel 255 Boiler Ring" brings up several other sources..

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know if this one will have the same issue. Googling "Lionel 255 Boiler Ring" brings up several other sources..

View attachment 547069
I bought two of those rings they don/t fit either. I have a total of 12 rings that I purchased from 5 different dealers and none of them fit. Jeff at train tender and I have been looking into this problem and found none of the rings seem to fit the fronts. I don't know if it's the repro boiler fronts or the repro rings that are the problem. I'll let you guys know if I find out what the problem is. it's always the little things that bug ya all the time.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
If you have a micrometer, measure and record your repro boiler. Perhaps another member can come up with a comparison.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I bought two of those rings they don/t fit either. I have a total of 12 rings that I purchased from 5 different dealers and none of them fit.
Unless all those rings are reproductions from the same mfg, it would point to the boiler being over sized.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Unless all those rings are reproductions from the same mfg, it would point to the boiler being over sized.
I checked all 12 rings I have. They measured .4 and the boilerfront measured .5 in. Somewhere someone wasn't paying attention. Now how would someone take off .1 in of the boilerfront. It just keeps getting better.

wildcat

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
The outside dimension on my 249 boiler ring is .53 in. That is near T-mans 13 mm measurement.

Are your rings all reproductions?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The outside dimension on my 249 boiler ring is .53 in. That is near T-mans 13 mm measurement.

Are your rings all reproductions?
It's hard to tell. Very few advertised as reproductions. Some on ebay just stated used but could have been repros that they just wanted to dump. I measured the inside of the ring which was .4 in and outside of the boilerfront headlight was .5+ in. just have to find some way of getting off at least .1 in of material from the boilerfront so the ring can go over the headlight section of the boilerfront. One good note, I went to a body shop supply store near me and they said they can match the paint for my 255e for about 25 bucks a spray can. Might be a small victory in the making.

wildcat

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
It seems your acquired rings are the wrong part or size. In the absence of another solution, a local train show may have the right part. I'm expecting the East Coast Train Show in Northern NJ to be open in Dec. Right now it's TBA but the other NJ shows on the list are active. Lots of guys with a bazillion parts. There's one 30 miles from me going off in a few weeks in NJ. I might attend that one. I'll keep you in mind.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Many thanks Mike for helping me out with my problem. I can't get out to shows anymore I take care of my 88 year old Mother who has dementia and she takes up a lot of my time lately. I really admire the members here. Everyone is so thoughtful and helpful to other members which is why I always look for help here. I'll post pics of the paint job to show my progress. Thanks again Mike.

Harry a.k.a. Wildcat

1 - 20 of 22 Posts