Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum and need some advice. I have a Lionel 255E engine that was given to me by the original owner but he did not have the tender and cars, or for that matter anything else that goes with it. He did at one point have the entire set but over the years it disappeared. Although I don't know how it is mechanically, appearance wise it looks to be in excellent condition.

I finally have a grandson and would like to locate and purchase the tender and cars that would have originally came with a set that included the 255E. My question is, what cars and tender came with it when new? With this information I can then begin to search for them.

Thank you for any help or advice you can give me.

Nick

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
David Doyle's Standard Catalog of Lionen Trains, 1900-1942 offers:

255E ... Produced in 1935 and 1936, only, and not available for separate sale, thise 2-4-2 was paired with a 263W whistle tender in sets.

His appendix lists:

Set 276W, 1935 passenger train, 255E loco, 613 Pullman, 614 Observation, 615 Baggage (and presumably the tender).

My (digital) 1936 catalog lists:

Set 275W, 1936 freight train, 255E loco, 263W tender, 812 gondola with barrels, 814 box car with sliding doors, 817 caboose with ladders and railings, 66 whistle and reversing controller, track (8 curved, 4 straight), OTC lockon. Price: $25.00 !

An old Lionel service sheet says the 255E shared the same body and frame as the 263 loco.

Hope that helps,

TJ

·
Yard Master & Research
11,168 Posts
From the pictures I can tell it is a very nice engine. I wanted to discuss the frame that the boiler sits on. If it is cast use some care when handling it. A common cause is breakage of the frame if it is dropped. The 262 and the 249e have these frames. Metal can be rebent but cast is more difficult. Congratulations you have a good friend.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm still here. Copied your information and now know what to look for and what the original sets looked like.

Thanks for the information, I'll update if I find them.

Nick

·
Yard Master & Research
11,168 Posts
I would like to see your engine. Post a picture? Even thought I answer questions about a lot of items, most of them I don't own. I wish you luck on finding a tender. It won't be easy nor cheep. A 265 might help in the meantime.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll take a few photos of it and attach them to my next post. As far as finding the tender, etc., I'm hoping someone somewhere has a set with a bad engine but good tender and cars that I can purchase along with some track and accessories. I realize that these are not cheap but assume that it would be worth it to have a complete set in original condition.

Nick

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
T-man. I took 5 photos of the engine. In looking at it closely, it seems to be in very good condition. All of the wheels, etc. turn freely, it has the light bulbs and very minimal rust on the top rear edge, the flags are missing but that seems to be about it.

Now, how do I add photos to my posts?

Nick

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Photos

I just found this advance reply section, I'll attempt to add the photos. It didn't work, said a security token was missing??? Can you tell me how to get these on here?

Nick

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
It may be that your photos are too large ... too many pixels. Resize down to 1600x1200 or smaller, and then try reloading.

Click on the Go Advanced tab, below, and from there, click on the paper clip icon to open an Attachment window. From there, Browse to each of your photos, and then Upload them ... we'll see a little icon in your post, which we can click on to open the pics.

TJ

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I'll try sending only one. I don't know how to make my photos smaller, I'm not really that good with computers however I do know that I can send them as attachments to e-mails.

Here goes,

It worked, I'll try adding two this time.

Here are the final two.

Nick

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Nick,

I merged your 3 most recent posts, and embedded the pics so we can all see them easily, without having to click on the icons. And ...

WOW! That's a great looking loco, in very nice shape for its age, with all original parts intact. I love all of the nickel piping on the boiler shell ... classy!

Do be careful about the boiler front casting ... it appears that the upper part of that (the pivot that sticks above the boiler) is degrading due to metal alloy breakdown ... a (sad) common occurence with some zinc-based Lionel alloy castings. Reproduction castings are available, though that may be a premature option for you. I would consider getting some clear sealer or paint on that pivot, though, to protect it from further decay.

Thanks for posting the pics ... I think this is the first 255 "close up" that we've seen on our forum.

TJ

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
The piece that is corroded is the latch for the smokebox door. It is separate from the smokebox door. It is a "model" of an Elesco feedwater heater. At least, I think that is what Lionel intended. It is a little too small.
BB

·
Yard Master & Research
11,168 Posts
The pictures are great. Thanks! This engine is very high class. One dome shows a hint of a dent but otherwise it has done remarkedly well. I do have a 249e that is similiar but I am not sure by how much. You do have a notched screw that holds the rod on the wheel. Never seen one like that before. You may have to make a wrench to fit it.

What's next?
You have a nice gunmetal finish. No repaint warranted here, it would destroy the value.
I love the Lionel boiler plate on the side.:cool:
The rods are gummed with grease, so clean them. Goo Gone, oil or thinner will work. Don't use anything abrasive. Soak a cotton ball and let it sit.
If you remove any screws try not to break them a tight fitting screwdriver is important. Two small screws in front hold the front boiler face in. Just above the forward wheels. The holes in the frame are threaded so everthing has to line up when placing the screws back in. I had to press the top forward for the holes to line up. Don't force them or the threads will get crossed.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for your replies. I will put a clear sealer on the corroded part to protect it and will clean it well with light oil or goo-gone and put it back on the shelf. My next step will be to start looking for the tender, cars, track and transformer to have a complete set for him to enjoy and hopefully pass down to a few more generations. I was told yesterday by the original owners sister that when there mother died they couldn't take everything from her house and that the cars were rusted so the decided to keep only the engine which at that time was still running and hopefully still is, she doesn't remember what happened to the tracks and accessories, most likely were in the same discarded box.

Thanks you all again for all of the information and advice, it is really appreciated,

Nick

·
Yard Master & Research
11,168 Posts
Pictures

The screw in the stack holds a plate that the litle heater sits on. You may have to loosen that to get the front off.

If you want to see any more 249e pictures.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is there a way to know if this engine is 1935 as part of the 276W set or 1936 and part of the 275W set? I would like to know which it is before I start searching for the balance of the set and the tender. Also, if anyone has the cars that I need for sale, please let me know.

Thanks

Nick

1 - 20 of 47 Posts