Model Train Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gang, with great reluctance I've decided to sell my dad's Lionel 259. I understand that there is a "marketplace" forum choice available here and I assume that members would point me in that direction once I'm ready to post the train "for sale". BUT, how in the world do I establish a fair price? I've included a few quick photos and of course will upgrade the pics for a posting to include a short video showing that the engine is operational.

Attachments

·
Yard Master & Research
11,763 Posts
Providing there is no hole on the top shell for a reversing unit lever and the front says 259. It is a 259 from 1932 only, It's first year. The 603 and 604 vary could be 1931. Measure them and see if they are 6/12 or seven inches. Price range will not matter $30 a piece. The engine does not match they tender in paint condition. The engine would be 80 to 125. Rare value is 4 from 1 to 7 very rare.

·
Yard Master & Research
11,763 Posts
If you sell you will have to come down in price or negotiate. Determine a firm price and if it does not sell hang on to it. I recently got a 259 and it needs a lot of work. I also have two 259e's awaiting parts. That are the copper and nickel versions. Watch ebay sales Don't break up the set. I did find a listing for set 173w but that had a 259E with the 603 and 604. 1932 The set would only increase in value if you had the original boxes.

Recently we have seen new members joining just to sell and the use of the sale area is for established members only.
Be aware of that policy.

·
Yard Master & Research
11,763 Posts
i've just now checked on line how to tell the difference; seems that it is not an "e" based on" red spokes and the reverse switch is manual; how can i be sure so that I don't misrepresent when posting? would another pic help?
Show the top with no slot and the front boiler should have 259 in white background.
The tender should have a brass ladder on the opposite side too.

Itis nice you still have the original front and rear trucks

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Providing there is no hole on the top shell for a reversing unit lever and the front says 259. It is a 259 from 1932 only, It's first year. The 603 and 604 vary could be 1931. Measure them and see if they are 6/12 or seven inches. Price range will not matter $30 a piece. The engine does not match they tender in paint condition. The engine would be 80 to 125. Rare value is 4 from 1 to 7 very rare.
the 603/604 measure 7.25"

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Show the top with no slot and the front boiler should have 259 in white background.
The tender should have a brass ladder on the opposite side too.

Itis nice you still have the original front and rear trucks
thks for the help............these two pics hopefully show what you are asking

Attachments

·
Hobo for Life
7,123 Posts
There is , but thats for the experts. As T man said, its nice, but its not a windfall, condition is everything, and while prices are goung back up a bit, there is not a ton of demand for the older tinplate stuff.

·
Yard Master & Research
11,763 Posts
No but it gives an idea of common and rare. I use the Doyle book for information. Prewar the 259 is common We don't see too much action in prewar here. The 259 is affordable while other can be desired but not economical. I think selling is hard. I see items that are higher priced and you tend to look for bargains. The thing is I don't buy all the time. So much is available I tend to pick and choose when I do. Good Luck

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No but it gives an idea of common and rare. I use the Doyle book for information. Prewar the 259 is common We don't see too much action in prewar here. The 259 is affordable while other can be desired but not economical. I think selling is hard. I see items that are higher priced and you tend to look for bargains. The thing is I don't buy all the time. So much is available I tend to pick and choose when I do. Good Luck
Much appreciated.........will likely bounce a high number out there as a starting point----you never know. By the way The Model Train Forum has been very helpful since i joined in 2018 in many regards, the most interesting was when I proposed to build my layout on 2" rigid foamboard which turned out to be the perfect solution for me. Good forum, good guys.......

·
Hobo for Life
7,123 Posts
Yea, T , I think the lhs had one but wasnt crazy expensive. And some of there prices are. Maybe 225 for the set. As a point of refrance they sell a KW for like 250. I wouldn't buy eaither at those prices. But I have like 4 259s.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea, T , I think the lhs had one but wasnt crazy expensive. And some of there prices are. Maybe 225 for the set. As a point of refrance they sell a KW for like 250. I wouldn't buy eaither at those prices. But I have like 4 259s.
gang, any suggestions as to what to use to clean the exterior so that they look as "purty" as possible?

·
Hobo for Life
7,123 Posts
Slightly damp microfiber cloth. Then maybe some pledge. Try the pledge on the underside of one of the passanger cars first. Some of that older paint wipes off esier then others.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Why not just put it on eBay with plenty of photos and your best description- at $1.00 starting bid and choose a 10 day auction for better viewer saturation and let the market decide?

95% of my auctions start at $1.00 on eBay and are true auctions ( as much as eBay can be). All this fussin and figurin about value on items you have not purchased is insane. Does it really matter if you make an extra $5.00?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts