Model Train Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up one of these today at a local flea market rusty and frozen "innerds." Price was so cheap I had to get it and see if I could bring it back to life, however......I can't figure out how to separate the shell from the motor.

There is a nutted screw under the cab that I think releases the back portion and a screw at the bottom of the boiler front.

Haaving restored many old bicycle hubs with lots of small pieces, I've learned that it's best to be a bit knowledgeable before tearing things apart. I have yet to find a parts manual but more importantly, any information detailing how to removing the shell.

Any help would be appreciated. I can post photos if necessary.

By the way, my thanks to all veterans for their service and sacrifice.....freedom isn't and never was free!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I just looked at mine. I never had it apart and am not sure its ever been apart. It appears you only have to remove the nut under the cab. The front of the mechanism has two tabs that fit into slots in the upper steam chest. Removing the nut should let the mechanism drop down and let the tabs clear the slots.
I have always admired the engineering that went into Lionel pre and postwar trains. Very simple yet rugged.
The main rod has to come off too as it appears the valve gear may be riveted to the body.
Pete

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all...good info. Will be a while til I can get on it, but I am anxious to see if I can bring it back from the dead. Importantly, I think I have a good shell stored somewhere in my stash.

Again, thanks much. 😀:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay…I give up!

Body removed, bushes and rotor surfaces cleaned, etc., etc.

Now all that’s left is to install brushes, flip brush plate over while holding the two brushes that are under spring tension and line up brush plate with rotor shaft and two screw holes!!!!!

Note the springs in the brush holders protrude making the above impossible for me at this point. I've tried evere method I could think of unable for me with just 2 hands.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Frustrated in PA

b.jpg

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
My solution: With the armature level and the brush plate overhead near it's position ...use tweezers to place the brushes on the face with just the end of the silo over them. Then press the brush plate down into position. Or remove the spring screws and mount the plate. Then insert the brushes and replace the springs & their screws.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I took a small paperclip and fashioned a small "hook" if you will and use it to to gently lift and pull the spring out of the way enough to insert the brush into the brush tube and then move the spring back into position. Have used this method on several different different motors and have never had a problem.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,576 Posts
The brushes have to sit on the brush plate. facing up. I then lower the motor down until it fits. If that goes awry I add them after the plate is on buy lifting the spring out of the way as Ron described.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just lift the spring out of the way and drop them in. Of course, with shunted brushes, they stay in place better. :D
My solution: With the armature level and the brush plate overhead near it's position ...use tweezers to place the brushes on the face with just the end of the silo over them. Then press the brush plate down into position. Or remove the spring screws and mount the plate. Then insert the brushes and replace the springs & their screws.
I took a small paperclip and fashioned a small "hook" if you will and use it to to gently lift and pull the spring out of the way enough to insert the brush into the brush tube and then move the spring back into position. Have used this method on several different different motors and have never had a problem.
The brushes have to sit on the brush plate. facing up. I then lower the motor down until it fits. If that goes awry I add them after the plate is on buy lifting the spring out of the way as Ron described.
I just lift the spring out of the way and drop them in. Of course, with shunted brushes, they stay in place better. :D
Perhaps I am not explaining correctly.

Note the photo..the springs that sick out from the brush holder go face down, that is you insert the brush by pushing against the spring, the flip the assembly so that the spring loaded brush faces the rotor.

I cannot pull up the spring from the top to release pressure as it does not have suffficient movement. The reiterate, the photo shows the bottom or down side of the assembly.

This is opposite of others I have worked on where the spring is on top, i.e., you mount the plate pull spring out of the way, drop in the brush then reorient the spring.

At first I though that somone had installed it incorrectly but if I flip the plate assembly over the brushes do not line up corectly.

I have not found any way to hold 2 brushes under tension, flip the assembly over, and lineup 2 screw holes and 1 shaft hole at the same time. :confused:

·
Yard Master & Research
10,576 Posts
If you want a plan c, cut a piece of sheet metal with a slot for the armature shaft. Stuff the brushes in and hold with the sheet metal and when assembled slide it out. Something like a kitchen fork.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Do you have the correct pre-war brushes? This really isn't that difficult, do it all the time, including my 259. If the correct springs and brushes, the brushes sit up, armature goes down on them, 1 minute job with the right parts.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Remove the screws, remove the springs. Put the plate on and secure it, drop the brushes in, and then replace the springs.
If you want a plan c, cut a piece of sheet metal with a slot for the armature shaft. Stuff the brushes in and hold with the sheet metal and when assembled slide it out. Something like a kitchen fork.
Do you have the correct pre-war brushes? This really isn't that difficult, do it all the time, including my 259. If the correct springs and brushes, the brushes sit up, armature goes down on them, 1 minute job with the right parts.
Doesn't the armature pull out? Assemble it that way with the armature out.
Plan D
Remove the screws, remove the springs. Put the plate on and secure it, drop the brushes in, and then replace the springs.
The problem is the springs protrude so far, the brushes must be held in place. With parkinsons I need 2 hands to hold them in place. I will try the fork method though.

Thanks for the replies.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts