Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 2666W tender in my mess while cleaning up the dungeon.
I popped the shell off and applied power and it sort of whistled. But there were a few sparks coming from underneath it.
I found that the pickup rollers were hitting the chassis when placed on the track, so I adjusted that so it wouldn't.
Still whistled but was noisy and weak and not consant.
So I took the brushes out and cleaned the armature face and brushes up, 1 wire came off I re-soldered it back on.
I tested on the track, 99.9% better with a strong whistle.

I then screwed back on the shell and tested.
It whistled some but was not strong and constant.
I hooked it up to a locomotive and pulled it, when it did whistle it was weak, it would work, then not work.
Why would it blow like Hell when the shell was off and act strange like that with the shell on?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Did you oil the bearings on both ends of the armature?
There should be no difference in the whistle performance with the shell on or off. Take the shell off and check for any pinched wires or obstructions to the air hole in the whistle chamber. Check the relay also for free movement. Also clean the wheels, pickup rollers and track with Naphtha to get rid of any dirt and gunk build-up.

Larry

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you oil the bearings on both ends of the armature?
There should be no difference in the whistle performance with the shell on or off. Take the shell off and check for any pinched wires or obstructions to the air hole in the whistle chamber. Check the relay also for free movement. Also clean the wheels, pickup rollers and track with Naphtha to get rid of any dirt and gunk build-up.

Larry
I know, strange.
It whistles like hell with the shell off.
I did all that, but will check on the wires again.
Thanks, Larry

I see some info that the 2666w is prewar, then I see other info that is was offered in 1946 too.
If so, do you know how to identify between the prewar tenders and the post war?
Maybe they made a 2666w in 46 with a plastic shell?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts