Model Train Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

I have pick up a Lionel 3461 lumber dump car and have a problem with the platform assembly. The tray will dump the logs but will not return to the fully down position. It seems that the plunger is sticking and holding the tray up about one inch.

I have looked in the "how to" section and did not find anything on the subject. If any one has had a similar problem and found a solution, I would be grateful for the advice.

Thanks

·
Yard Master & Research
11,013 Posts
The 3461 was made in 1949. The 3451 in 1947.

The hinge should roll open when held and tilted. The force from the pin unloads the logs and continues to bounce the floor back into position.
The pin should be free in the solenoid. It its held in by two metal tabs from the top. If you need to get inside to clean it. The pin should be polished up.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
T-Man,

Thanks for your reply. I checked the plunger for rust and did not see any. I have lubed the hinge as well as the wheels, which were all very dry. I think your idea of taking the coil cover off and checking it more closely and polishing the plunger is an excellent idea. I will update when completed.

Thanks

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just finished polishing the plunger and pin. It was dirty and needed the clean up. I put it back together, tested the function and can report that it is working well. Quick and easy repair.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Yard Master & Research
11,013 Posts
The lid came off and I found some dirt. The Qtip did the rest.

Wiring is simple. Each wire is connected to a sliding shoe on the trucks. The insulators are the connection points.

Now we have a reference. :D The manual was skimpy. Glad you asked. :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts