Model Train Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't the foam pads get torn up easily. Wonder if someone developed a more durable or sanding pad for the 3927.

·
Admin
43,706 Posts
Can you show us a pic of your modified cleaning pad.
Mine is buried in a pile of boxes, but it was minor, I just tinkered with the mounting a little to make it grip the Scotchbrite pad. I also added a series diode for the motor and also a TVS to suppress any spikes from the brushes.

Are these units effective at cleaning track?
They actually work pretty well with the Scotchbrite, with the original system, it was too messy for me.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What kind of a spike or damage are you worried about for using a transient-voltage-suppression diode?

·
Registered
77 Posts
The Pulmore motor has some pretty lively sparks at times at the brushes. When I'm pulling it around with a $1500 Legacy locomotive, I don't want the generated voltage transients to kill that one. ;)
Now that makes sense! I'm thinking if it would work, my Erie 610 would not be concerned about a few sparks. :rolleyes:

Ken

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea I hear you. I keep my expensive electronic locos on a separate layout from my prewar sparklers.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I also use the scotchbrite pads held on with double sided tape. Works OK but nothing beats a wholly sock and some alcohol.
There's scientific evidence that isopropyl alcohol, while good at cleaning track, is poor at keeping track clean. There's an article in this MRH issue that explains the chemistry (just page through until you see "What causes the "Black Gunk" on wheels and rails" and page to follow the article). The gist of it; non-polar solvents work best at keeping track clean by inhibiting the micro-arcing that causes the black soot buildup on track. Alcohol's high dielctric constant places it low on the list.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So is the center rail on black tie track higher because of the cardboard insulator? If so anything other then the original foam could pose a problem because it would not contact the outer rails. I tried a 3m scotchbrite pad and thats the problem I had.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have noticed that there are different thicknesses and pliability of the these. I have the 2" one for cleaning metal. Its nice because its precut. I guess I need to find a softer kitchen one and cut it out myself.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts