Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a new 6 fingered washer in a recently purchased 494 rotary beacon. It works fine, but I have 3A questions:
1. Is it normal to have it "warm up" for about a minute at 12 volts for it to start rotating?
(and NO- I'm not confusing this with the 394 even if I AM a noobie! - LOL)
2. Should I put a couple of drops of crazy glue to hold the washer inside the housing? (flat side of course)
3. Recommended voltage?

It works just fine, but was just wondering why the prerequisite warm up?

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I never heard about the warm up time. No need for glue. Just apply a variable voltage and adjust for best performance. For me that would be the quietest that still turned the beacon.

Pete

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
One or two have posted about the 494 working better after warm up. Unlike the 394 where it's a given, there wasn't any science behind that phenomena for the 494. Conjecture: (a) The rubber washer softens thus grabs better; (b) Metal expands when heated. That might loosen something up.

Some recommend the current modern part from Lionel - works better than an aged original washer.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK- one more STUPID question- do the fingers point up or down? The 3 pack I got from Hennings says "Be Sure Fingers are pointing up!"
Yet, I have seen images showing the fingers pointing down??? It works both ways. Any opinions?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From the parts listing for the #494, the drive washer was secured to the light bracket with an adhesive washer, and the fingers pointed down. So, that's what I'd do.

View attachment 546589
Thanks for the diagram. I've tried putting 2 drops of crazy glue on the smooth side of the driving washer and pressed it up into the housing, with the fingers pointing down, and then later managed to lift the washer out and put it right back in with the fingers pointing up. I even tried another new washer. It made no difference in either scenario. I still have to wait for a little under a minute for it to rotate, but once it does, it works fine, and responds to voltages from 9 volts to 13 volts.
Having purchased this used, I guess I can live with that. It's painted silver, and matches my original 395 Floodlight Tower.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The intent was that the fingers point down since the "vibrotor" is on the bottom and the "action" is the fingers moving in one direction (away from the direction they are angled) as the vibrotor vibrates. Yes, they do work either way, but logically, they should be in contact with the vibrotor.

I've never put glue on any of mine and they work just fine. In terms of warm up, you might have a tight fit and things loosen as the temperature rises. Is the lens bracket misshapen at all?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK guys- I finally figured it out! The connection of one of the coil vibrator leads that go to the black rod was all corroded, and that might explain why after 2 minutes, the heat might have helped the conductivity?
At any rate, I cleaned that area of the rod with a wire brush, and, using plenty of FLUX, re-soldered the connection and WALLAH! SHE STARTS RIGHT UP! Here are some before and after pix:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts