Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was at a local place and picked up an 022 set with dual switch...

but he had this there and im curious is it worth $75?

i told him id take it and he put it on the track and it lit but didnt move. he buys from estates and sells...he said his "guy" will service it and still $75..
good price?

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
I use Greenberg's as a sanity check (not the Bible). The 2015 edition says $115 for excellent condition. On ebay they have sold for $50 to $115

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use Greenberg's as a sanity check (not the Bible). The 2015 edition says $115 for excellent condition. On ebay they have sold for $50 to $115
gotcha.. at least serviced...and working so $200 for it and 5 passenger cars.

·
Registered
638 Posts
GOOD TO GO

I just happen to have one of these Lionel PRR Little Joe's. Runs decent for a single engine unit. Do not except it to be a super puller. Mine does fine just pulling some passenger cars as I remember. My "LITTLE JOE" is in storage presently or I would post a video of it running. Make sure every thing is there especially the Operating pantographs.

A You Tube video I pulled from the internet is showing a running "LITTLE JOE". See it below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=gjynR1q39HU&feature=emb_logo

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just happen to have one of these Lionel PRR Little Joe's. Runs decent for a single engine unit. Do not except it to be a super puller. Mine does fine just pulling some passenger cars as I remember. My "LITTLE JOE" is in storage presently or I would post a video of it running. Make sure every thing is there especially the Operating pantographs.

A You Tube video I pulled from the internet is showing a running "LITTLE JOE". See it below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=gjynR1q39HU&feature=emb_logo
as long as it pulls 5 passenger cars.. ill be happy...

·
Registered
966 Posts
"Lionel 6-8551 Pennsylvania "Little Joe" EP-5 Electric Engine..."

The nomenclature is wrong, as well as "where the engine came from".

That's actually a model of a New Haven "EP-5" electric loco originally built back around 1955. The originals had 6-axle trucks instead of 4-axles. They were known as "jets" on the old NH because of the high pitched whine from the cooling fans up on the roof when they first started from a stop (I remember that as a kid).

They never carried "Pennsylvania" paint, although a few made it into Penn Central black. The few that lasted into the 70's were retired after one caught fire while hauling a commuter train in the Grand Central tunnels. A friend was the fireman on the engine that day -- just had coffee with him yesterday!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so I love the "Pennsylvania" look and color. guy is closed for 3w.. so i can go back and get them then but have been looking on ebay.

just passed up a deal on 6 cars and this loco for $18 more than what im going to get it for, but that $18 covers an extra car. BUT the one the guy is selling to me was just serviced...

wonder if this (double the price easily), would be a better puller, but then do i really need a better puller? The powered unit has dual motors so could just use it and not use the non powered unit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lionel-Mod...948377?hash=item4211a63b59:g:fgkAAOSw8G1eM22y

1 - 8 of 8 Posts