Model Train Forum banner

Lionel 6-8759 Erie Lackawanna GP-9 Diesel "Growls" when going around curves

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  jpepe3691 
#1 ·
Just bought a nice clean 8759 from 1978. It runs fine, but I hear what can be described as a low hollow growling noise when going around curves. Is this normal? This is the type engine that has the traction tires on only one side.

See less See more
#3 ·
Well, I did oil the trucks- that was my first move. I'm not quite sure where to oil the motor, though. I'll open it up again and look. Not sure if my make shift kitchen table layout has too much of a curve- 4 10" to make a tight oval. Maybe this is too much for this diesel?
This is temporary of course until I build my table. I think this is motor related because if I grab the engine and try to hold it back, I hear the same growling noise, like the motor is straining. It's not loud, mind you- the hollow plastic body seems to resonate with this noise. This is the first diesel of the 1970's "one sided traction tire" type I ever owned, so I'm really not familiar with it. My new Sante Fe Lion Chief of course does NOT exhibit the same growling noise, but that has twin motors, and FOUR traction tires. And, of course my 2036 and 2037 steamers take those turns with no complaint.

#6 ·
Well, one thing did work- I oriented the engine so that it PULLS- the cab is in the front with the big "E" facing outward.
The motor is also under the cab. If that's the way it's SUPPOSED to be, I'm going to feel pretty foolish. At any rate, no more "growling" under load. Sorry I wasted anyone's time!

#8 ·
I figured that in the real world. I'm still fooling around with the "resonant howling" issue, and here's what I've discovered. I carefully bent the metal railings away from the body so they are still in the recess, but not really contacting the body, based on my suspicion that the hollow plastic body really exaggerates the noise. Then, I slightly loosened the two phillips head screws. That seemed to quiet it down. I guess I'm not used to hearing that noise, as my only prior experience has been the 2036 and 2037. I'm just re entering the hobby. Thanks for all the tips. So glad I found this forum!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.