Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started restore of a 610,610 and 612. I will show pictures as the project moves along. The original.

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Painted the window inserts and baked them in a broken crock pot. I have baked all of the parts in the crock pot to dry the enamel. I will put the graphics on tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I can only hope my 610/612 restorations come out anywhere near as nice as those. I have two three car sets; the early and later versions.

A couple of questions ...

How did you restore the journals? On my 629/630 cars, I've been buffing them on a wheel. And thus found out that the nickel is plated over brass :eek:hwell:

How did you restore the brass railing on the observation car?

Any insight into the letter spacing on the Lionel decal?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used a buffing wheel on a dremel tool with compound, then used barkeepers friend to get buffing compound off.
The brass railing was also done with the dremel and compound. Then I used Q tips with barkeepers friend on them to shine and remove compound. I am thinking about spraying with clear to keep the railing from tarnishing.

The spacing on the Lionel is separated a little because there were two rivets ( fake rivets) what would not let the slide on decals lay down.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I used a buffing wheel on a dremel tool with compound, then used barkeepers friend to get buffing compound off.
The brass railing was also done with the dremel and compound. Then I used Q tips with barkeepers friend on them to shine and remove compound. I am thinking about spraying with clear to keep the railing from tarnishing.

The spacing on the Lionel is separated a little because there were two rivets ( fake rivets) what would not let the slide on decals lay down.
I use 3" to 5" buffing wheels with compound on a regular power drill. The Barkeepers Friend is a good tip - thanks.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I was curious. How did Lionel stamp the lettering given the rivets?

I just looked at my late model 610s and some pic.'s from online historical sources. It seems the earlier late model 61os (not to be confessed with the early body 610s), had rivets but no lettering above the windows.The later versions with lettering above the windows didn't have the rivet details.

Not to worry, you're cars look great and the gold lettering really pops in the pic.'s.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good to know. Mine had the rivets and stamped lettering.
They must use a real stamp and I used a water slide decal.
On the 607 and 608 I may remove those two rivets before lettering. No one but an expert would ever know the difference.
I agree they look good the way they are, but not exactly like the originals.

John

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Millstonemike,

The 607's and 608 that I have no rivet at the top.

The other two 610's have rivets and the 612 does not, but do have the stamped (The Lionel line.)

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Millstonemike,

The 607's and 608 that I have no rivet at the top.

The other two 610's have rivets and the 612 does not, but do have the stamped (The Lionel line.)
Should I read that as "your two 610's with rivets also are stamped with lettering"?

If so, I just can't imagine how the stamp would lay down a nice imprint with the rivets in the way - the stamp material itself was very flexible? back in that time?). I'd be interested in seeing a high-res close up that lettering over the rivets if convenient.

On another note, this whole "rivet lettering issue" was new to me. Now that I know of it, it will figure into my (future) restoration for the 610s.

Thanks for the heads up.

Is this a great forum or what :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes rechecked the 610's have rivets and are stamped.
I will take pictures tomorrow.
Also the 612 has rivets on one side only?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts