Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if reproduction oiling instructions that are on the underside of the passenger car are available?

Thanks John

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have two 610s and a 612 that need restoration. IIRC, there is / are oiling instructions on a sticker on the bottom. They are faded and a little brown. I guess I could take one off and try to scan it. I don't know how I can get them off without messing up the ink or paper. Maybe someone can help. I would like to remove them and put them back on after the restoration.

MTH had the stickers on their 610 / 612 reproductions (2015?). You might try to contact them, but you might have an easier time finding a ham sandwich in Tel Aviv.

Edit: Here you go. They are for Standard Gauge but should work.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/143158670794

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sent a message to the eBay seller asking for the size of the stickers. I am restoring two 610,s and a 612.

Thanks John

·
Registered
465 Posts
Jwh2000
i have the prewar 610 New York Central Lines cars in dark olive the sticker under is
2 & 5/8 long by 1&1/4 in height.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dieseler,

My cars are olive green in good shape,just really need new paint.
I was able to get color match paint from Henning's Trains. I want to put on new stickers,just trying to make look original.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Understand the car sticker your looking for should be that size mentioned IF yours are the earlier 6 window style with 2 panes in each window the later 610 cars had 8 normal 1 pane windows not sure of the sticker size for those cars. my cars came with the 156 electric made in the 1920s.
Hope this helps.

Edit - Smitty's Toy Train Parts has repro oil labels for .25c each but does not list the size you would have to ask and also seen some on ebay 3 or 4 listings but again no size listed other than 1 of them that said standard gauge.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are 8 window and the sticker size is 2 5/8 x 1 1/8

I think either would work. I tried to remove one with a razor blade and it didn't go well. I thought I could scan it.

Thanks John

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I would take a high-res picture before any attempt to remove it. That can be edited into a master print (Paint, Photoshop, etc.,)

Then I'd try a hair dryer to heat it up - perhaps the glue will soften. Doubtful on the old stuff, but modern stickers peel right off when heated.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Jwh your right i re measured mine and it is indeed 1 1/8 in height i mistook the 1/8 for a 1/4 !
Also noticed on one of the labels some previous owner had written 1924 in one the labels corners never really seen that after having them for many years.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Jwh for you to reproduce them for yourself and in the right size etc i have no idea nor if that picture is good enough but your welcome to use it .

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just bought standard gauge stickers,let's hope we can resize then for 0 gauge.
Scan them as a jpeg (photo) file. Then, you can use one of those photo editors to resize or crop as needed. I'm sure you have more than one of those pieces of software on your computer. Print them off on an Avery label if you wish.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Jwh for you to reproduce them for yourself and in the right size etc i have no idea nor if that picture is good enough but your welcome to use it .
No, the pic is not ideal. I processed it and the angle of the photo skews the "rectangle". Tilt can be processed out. But the camera angle makes one side of the rectangle shorter than the other.

I suggest taking the pic from further away (modern pics have extremely high resolution) and directly overhead - perpendicular to the label itself. That will minimize any distortion of the rectangle.

610.png

1 - 20 of 29 Posts