Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lionel 611 NW-2 Diesel switcher

I won two of these locomotives a few weeks ago.
Jersey Central. :smilie_daumenpos:
Like I needed two. :rolleyes:

s-l1600.jpg

They were offered in 1957 and 1958.

These are in like new shape, very little run time as they sat in storage for a long time.
The 611's are notorious for having a crack where the screw is on the nose used to attach the body to the frame. This is from owners tightening the screw too much. These are fine.
They also are prone to having the center bar in the windows broken. These are fine too.
Something one might want to look for if buying them.

The other switchers made around this time frame might have the same problems. Be on the lookout for them.

BUYER BEWARE,
Any plastic body from the 50's are prone to the crack in the same spots, if you see pictures and they don't show the nose by the screw, I would bet they are cracked. Ask.

http://www.tandem-associates.com/lionel/lionel_trains_611_diesel.htm

·
Hobo for Life
6,063 Posts
Nice ed! You need more then 2, lol you have a whole NJ central RR to run! I like the little switchers, i have one somewhere but not nj central and not it good shape. It was adams familied by my brothers as we grew up! Enjoy them , they look really nice.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice ed! You need more then 2, lol you have a whole NJ central RR to run! I like the little switchers, i have one somewhere but not nj central and not it good shape. It was adams familied by my brothers as we grew up! Enjoy them , they look really nice.
Hi Chief. :p

Hope all is well with you and Susie cutie.
She getting out of hand yet? If not wait a few more years. lol

You been running trains?

·
Hobo for Life
6,063 Posts
Not yet, i planed on setting up the g scale outside as i have the room. But took a late trip to disney instead. I will set something up winter. Eaither O or G. Or both. Lol. Kido is getiing big and unruly, takes after me. I got a camper and have been spending a lot of my free time with that. Trips all around from disney to niagra falls. And everywhere in between. How are you, you get the gas meter out did you ever finish that side of the layout?

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not yet, i planed on setting up the g scale outside as i have the room. But took a late trip to disney instead. I will set something up winter. Eaither O or G. Or both. Lol. Kido is getiing big and unruly, takes after me. I got a camper and have been spending a lot of my free time with that. Trips all around from disney to niagra falls. And everywhere in between. How are you, you get the gas meter out did you ever finish that side of the layout?

The gas meter is finally outside, took around 2 years, They started then the town shut them down as they didn't have the proper permits duh. Then it took over a year to come back!
That corner is still out I have to put it back in. I might make a few changes to it. I am glad that the meter is outside now that is for sure.

All those fires up in Ma were from too much gas pressure and the weakest point is at the meter. Then if they are inside all you need is a spark and KaBoom there goes the house.
You know about all the houses that blew up there right? You must.

Well one reason PSE&G is replacing all the old steel lines under the road with a plastic like line (forget what it is) much better then plastic PVC. Is because they are putting everyone's meters outside as they go along.
They are doing just about the whole state, so you being what you are should know about this?

So now I have to dream up what I will do and kick myself in the butt to do it.:D

My 611's waiting for orders from Top Hat.:D

P1010043.JPG

·
Hobo for Life
6,063 Posts
Forgot you had that turntable! Im jealous all over again!

Yes, the gas company up north will have to pay out. They were replacing a hight to low pressure transmission line. When the compony doing the work replaced it they disconected and never hooked up the auto shutoffs for the pressure lines. And there back ups. So, high pressure gas goes from the big lines to your local grid. When it gets up to a certain pressure the valve shuts off the flow from the high pressure to low pressure line. These valves and regulatoers were removed. So the high pressure went into the local system and blew out the pilots and filled up the homes with gas. Not good at all.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
They are great looking locomotives. Did the CNJ paint switchers like that? The blue and orange scheme is really cool. The CNJ seemed to have endless types of paint jobs. I could never keep track of them all!

Tom

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are great looking locomotives. Did the CNJ paint switchers like that? The blue and orange scheme is really cool. The CNJ seemed to have endless types of paint jobs. I could never keep track of them all!

Tom
I don't think they ever had those switchers.
Some info below.

Paint schemes listed here,
http://www.alphabetroute.com/cnj/

Shot at Plainfield NJ, 1953, right down the road from me.

cnj50.jpg

The tangerine & Blue were used up to 1954.

http://www.homauchchunk.co.uk/tangerine_&_blue.htm

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Lionel 611 NW-2 Diesel switcher

I won two of these locomotives a few weeks ago.
Jersey Central. :smilie_daumenpos:
Like I needed two. :rolleyes:

Given your dire warnings :), I'd look to prevention.

I wonder if the body will crack just from use. In your pic, I think I see the the screw is flexing the front of body inward - stressing the plastic. Perhaps a spacer between the body and the chassis would allow the screw to be snug without stressing the front of the body.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Given your dire warnings :), I'd look to prevention.

I wonder if the body will crack just from use. In your pic, I think I see the the screw is flexing the front of body inward - stressing the plastic. Perhaps a spacer between the body and the chassis would allow the screw to be snug without stressing the front of the body.
Most all the cracks are from over tightening.
But that is a good ideal soft thin rubber like washer might work well.
I had both the shells off and I snugged them just tight enough so they don't vibrate out.
I will see what I have in my stock of what ever's.
I see stuff like that laying around I bring it home.
I have 2 parts drawers shelves, the plastic ones with the 25 pull out drawers, filled with all kinds of little things I find.
They are my what ever drawers.
Little Stainless screws, bolts ,nuts, washers are like finding gold. :D

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I have 2 parts drawers shelves, the plastic ones with the 25 pull out drawers, filled with all kinds of little things I find.
:D
Since an early age I've used the term "Hell Box". An old toolbox or whatever containing all the leftover nuts, bolts etc. saved for a rainy day when they may come in handy.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since an early age I've used the term "Hell Box". An old toolbox or whatever containing all the leftover nuts, bolts etc. saved for a rainy day when they may come in handy.
I have a few boxes like that too.
But with something like this you don't need to dig.

Screws in one, nuts in another, washers, cotter pins etc.
Much easier then digging through a big pile.

akro-mils-tool-storage-bins-10124-64_1000.jpg

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I just found an old metal version of that parts bin when cleaning out the back basement room for the layout build. Unused as of yet.

I picked up a couple of pairs of these. I store train trim parts during restorations, spare parts, LEDs for lighting, electrical components, nuts, screws, etc., etc. They interlock together so you can stow all as one unit. Filled two so far ...

Parts.png

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have 4 of them downstairs too. :)

My other shelf/drawers are out in my garage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts