Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Admin
45,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 628 44 ton switcher, and I'm having a problem with the couplers letting go and the engine shooting off on it's own.

I've looked them over, and I kinda' see the issue, the coupler magnetic release is separate from the actual coupler, and when the coupler flexes up and down, it actually causes the coupler to open. Obviously, that's happening as the train runs.

Anyone else have experience with this engine? Is there a "hidden" fix? I was also trying to find this engine in the Lionel Supplement documentation, but I'll be dipped if I can find it. It's a 1957 model, so it must be in there somewhere.

While I'm at it, does anyone know where to find the exploded diagram for this engine? Olsen just has the part numbers.

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
I don't have my Greenbergs with me right now, but did you look at the 622's at Olsens? Might they share some common parts/layout as your 628? Olsens does have diagrams for the 622's.

TJ

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,480 Posts
Hidden fix?

rubber band?
twisty wire?
super glue?
T mans favorite...EPOXY?

Try to find Black ones though..:D

·
Admin
45,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked at all the 62x engines at Olsens, they all just had parts lists. The Greenberg book doesn't have much on on this model and no diagrams.

I'm thinking I may have to take the couplers apart, I think the one is canted down a bit and when it pulls on the cars, it tilts up and releases the coupler. Don't know why the front one releases, it seems solid when I have it on the bench wiggling it all around.

It never ends... :)

·
Admin
45,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These are the "common" engines in that family. They're all on the same base.

625 GE 44-ton LV Switcher
626 B & O GE 44 Ton Switcher
627 LV GE 44 Ton Switcher
628 NP GE 44 Ton Switcher
629 Burlington GE 44 Ton Switcher

I was closely watching it go around the track, and it looks like the coupler just "works" it's way open by walking the pin down. I'm going to bring it back in my shop and take a closer look. I may replace the coupler knuckles to see if that helps.

Can't believe this isn't a somewhat common issue with this model, there doesn't seem to be any damage to the couplers, just poor design.

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Follow-up ...

I looked at my Greenberg's manual. They have a one-pager on the 625 family, but no detailed specs / service info on the couplers. Sorry.

TJ

·
Yard Master & Research
10,864 Posts
I would guess the spring is weak or missing. I have a few that slip and I wire them shut My 212 rear knuckle showed slipping. It's fixed with no moving parts, so added a layer of epoxy on the inside to snug up the fit. That knucle has two nubs that pops into a bracket. How about a picture of it. I have always wanted a 627 but have yet to dive in. The part numbe was 480 something , I am sure it is used on others.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,480 Posts
Hidden fix?

rubber band?
twisty wire?
super glue?
T mans favorite...EPOXY?

Try to find Black ones though..:D
T-Man, you are a mind reader! :D I just wired it shut, got tired of screwing around with it, works great now.

what did you think I was kidding?:D ( well maybe about the epoxy)
I was the second to answer you.:rolleyes:

·
Yard Master & Research
10,864 Posts
That's funny! :laugh:
I swear I have a minature Ed speaking into my ear "epoxy" "it will fix it" " use more epoxy":D

When the knuclkle slips on rolling stock it's easy. Switch out the lower assy and use a new one. At least on the good cars. My junkers I wire up, lots of those.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,480 Posts
That's funny! :laugh:
I swear I have a minature Ed speaking into my ear "epoxy" "it will fix it" " use more epoxy":D

When the knuclkle slips on rolling stock it's easy. Switch out the lower assy and use a new one. At least on the good cars. My junkers I wire up, lots of those.
The T MAN transforms to The EPOXY MAN at times.:D

·
Admin
45,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've had minimal issues with the rolling stock, and I have a box of trucks to swap out if I do have issues. I also have lots of junk cars that I can steal trucks off for the plastic ones. ;)

I picked up a neat riveting tool so I can do repairs on stuff that normally would be a problem, love it!

·
Admin
45,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The rivet kit I got has a solution for that as well, it's a stake that holds the rivet from rotating while you drill. :D

Breakman's Riveter

I have most of the stuff in the picture here, I don't have a couple of the big chunks of metal for specialized tasks, didn't think it was worth it.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,480 Posts
The rivet kit I got has a solution for that as well, it's a stake that holds the rivet from rotating while you drill. :D

Breakman's Riveter

I have most of the stuff in the picture here, I don't have a couple of the big chunks of metal for specialized tasks, didn't think it was worth it.

Wow look at the prices.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts