Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can some one describe the function and features of the two PC cards in the 9100?:confused:

I have a striped worm gear on one of the 9100 motors:(. Where is a source for a new armature or should I just replace the entire motor?

Denny Todd

·
Yard Master & Research
10,758 Posts
Lionel site

I found the instruction manual 71-8220-250 . The dash 8 was made in 1995.The features are diesel horn and coupling. The cards could be these features or a bridge rectifier to run on AC or DC,or electronic reversing?
B&M will know.

The lionel site should carry the armature, but that is not your problem only a symptom. Worm gear needs help to wear out. Look at the axle bushings at least one is worn out. A common problem with dual motored engines I repaired my 2333.
Armatures can be rewound. Radio shack has a 3 pack, but it is not easy to match the number of turns when rewinding. My try had 50 turns to fit it back in and it had 97 to start.
Bob
http://www.lionel.com/media/servicedocuments/71-8220-250.pdf
PS GO online to the Lionel Site,customer service.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you T-Man. You are wealth of information. I have two 9100’s but have never opened either one. One set of wheels started slipping and grinding. Yesterday I opened it up to find that the end of the worm gear shaft on the Armature had broken off and allowed the worm to spin against the wheel shaft gear.
Where did you get the instructions out of a Greenberg or on line?
Denny Todd

·
Yard Master & Research
10,758 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bob,
What a good job in helping me get going in the correct direction with the Lionel supplement data site.:thumbsup: I follow what you mean about the symptoms not necessarily the cause. I have two (e-bay) steam engines in the local Lionel dealer for repairs. One has been here for over a year waiting for inexpensive motor parts. When the 9100 started acting up I decided to tackle the repairs myself.
Thank you for the help. I like your cat video.
Denny

1 - 5 of 5 Posts