Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been picking up multiples of K-Line and Lionel diecast hoppers in both Erie and B&O roadnames. They are beautiful cars with excellent details, including coal loads, metal everything and sprung trucks. The K-Line versions seem to be almost exactly the same as the Lionel cars.

Paint Font Rectangle Material property Gas

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Charcoal Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Train Rolling stock Vehicle

Now, besides being a major PITA to remove from the their foam cradles in the factory packaging, except the K-line versions, why do they seem unpopular?

Some are on eBay for $60-$70 each, but most are in the $30-$35 dollar range. I bought a number of them from one dealer and paid a very low shipping cost.

They are very heavy, probably a bit too heavy, but they seem pretty rugged. Just curious…

Tom

Reactions: beachhead2

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I didn't know they were diecast but that explains the weight. I have 2 in Rock Island and I know TRAINZ purchased a large ROCK ISLAND collection about 3 months ago and has been putting them on eBay for $22 to $35, most of those do not have boxes.

I like them but I don't need anymore. I prefer to run box cars and hoppers. Iowa had some coal fields but overall I am not interested in more.

But for you eastern road names folks these would be great. Heavy, but appropriate for your area.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Most all of my diecast cars are reproductions of Lionel’s pre war scale cars. Lionel did them around 1991, then MTH, K-Line, and Williams did a set. K-Lines and MTH’s are diecast. Williams are brass. They all used the molds to make cars lettered for other roads or companies in the case of tank cars.

Pete

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I figured the excessive weight had something to do with them being inexpensive, in general, on the train market.

I have a couple trains of Erie and B&O in these models. I am figuring around ten would be the limit for a large steamer or multiple diesels. Mixed with some MTH plastic cars, I hope to run a train of about 20 cars…

Tom

Reactions: BigGRacing

·
Railroad Tycoon
25,672 Posts
You say all metal, are the coal loads metal too?

·
Admin
47,487 Posts
I have a couple trains of Erie and B&O in these models. I am figuring around ten would be the limit for a large steamer or multiple diesels. Mixed with some MTH plastic cars, I hope to run a train of about 20 cars…
You might be surprised. A large articulated steamer can haul a lot of cars, probably at least 20-25 diecast cars. My Vision Line Big Boy pulled 70 cars around the layout at Harry's place without breaking a sweat, and that includes several grades. I'm pulled a dozen diecast cars with my upgraded Phantom locomotive.

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You say all metal, are the coal loads metal too?
They might be. I was going to try and remove one to see. I could run an empty coal train if they are lighter with out the loads…

You might be surprised. A large articulated steamer can haul a lot of cars, probably at least 20-25 diecast cars. My Vision Line Big Boy pulled 70 cars around the layout at Harry's place without breaking a sweat, and that includes several grades. I'm pulled a dozen diecast cars with my upgraded Phantom locomotive.
I have a couple big Erie engines, the 0-8-8-0 and a Triplex that could handle them. I will just have to experiment when I have the grades figured out to see what can pull what…

Tom

·
Railroad Tycoon
25,672 Posts
OK, I was just wondering as I never saw any but plastic loads.
If they were metal it would add to the total weight too.
Nice looking car & load. :)

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
OK, I was just wondering as I never saw any but plastic loads.
If they were metal it would add to the total weight too.
Nice looking car & load. :)
I was thinking thin sheet metal. Like coal in a tinplate tender but with modern, realistic stamping. That would have been fairly lightweight.

·
Railroad Tycoon
25,672 Posts
I think the load in the first picture Tom posted looks great.
The whole car looks great. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts