Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
During this afternoon's TrainWorld virtual roundtable event, Lionel's president, Howard Hitchcock, announced Lionel Voice Control (LVC), which will enable voice control of trains via Lionel's LionChief App.

The 5.0 update to Bluetooth makes this possible.

A small icon will be added to the LionChief App that will enable voice control of throttle, direction, volume, dialogue, couplers, bell/horn/whistle, smoke, sequences, and time controls (what will that be, I wonder?).

Howard said that LVC will be officially introduced in Lionel's first 2021 catalog.

Oh, LVC will be backward compatible with all Lionel engines controllable by Bluetooth.

Sounds like another fun—and free—option for running our trains. Kids, too, may get into it, not to mention folks (older or disabled) who have difficulty manipulating remotes, touchscreens, or even transformers.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Ok. And they will add $200 to each locomotive and I run conventional. Why don't they focus on more variety of product offering like MTH did?

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Sounds interesting to me. A lot easier than messing with a keypad or scrolling on a handheld. I don’t have an alexa or anything like that, but I do like the voice control for my Comcast DVR.

But I don’t think I will be using one anytime soon. I use an MTH handheld remote. I only have one modern Lionel loco (an LC+) and I don’t use Bluetooth.

·
Hobo for Life
6,100 Posts
Come on marx had this in the 60s! Lol.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lionel-Marx-American-Flyer-Model-Train-Audio-Engineer-Voice-Control-With-Box-/123715983413
I know not the same thing........

·
Registered
8,910 Posts
Geez, I've talked to my trains for close on 70 years now. Frankly I am not sure they listened, but they often sang to me. I don't want to change a thing, but keep it just the way its been all these years, so I won't be getting this app.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Come on marx had this in the 60s! Lol.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lionel-Marx-American-Flyer-Model-Train-Audio-Engineer-Voice-Control-With-Box-/123715983413
I know not the same thing........
My dad had one those when I was a tot. The "microphone" was a switch. You said "STOP" or "GO" and the force of air would cause a light metal plate to move and momentarily break contact with the another. That interrupted power to the track causing the E-unit to cycle . Basically the same as the direction switch on a transformer.

Thanks for the post. I had been looking for it but it never came up in a search. I had no idea it was a Marx unit.,

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Keith, I think its safe to Lionel did not aim this feature for the old foagies but the younger generations who love these gadgets. It appears you flushed out the foagies.

Pete

·
Hobo for Life
6,100 Posts
My dad had one those when I was a tot. The "microphone" was a switch. You said "STOP" or "GO" and the force of air would cause a light metal plate to move and momentarily break contact with the another. That interrupted power to the track causing the E-unit to cycle . Basically the same as the direction switch on a transformer.

Thanks for the post. I had been looking for it but it never came up in a search. I had no idea it was a Marx unit.,
Its atually cool looking, i never hooked mine up.......

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Who knows ... :)

Perhaps it will facilitate multi-train layout operations. Instantly switch to a specific loco for control, switch turnouts on command, etc. It depends on the user's "modus operandi" and the voice app's capabilities, response accuracy and overall user ergonomic experience.

·
Hobo for Life
6,100 Posts
I'll just say , it will not increase sales dramatically. Ot might hook a few with the tec at first. But unfortunately when the kids grow up a bit the allure of the trains disapears and gets replaced by an i pad.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I can just imagine three or four people at an operating session all yakking into their remotes, talk about pandemonium! :D
You may be right. Bu never say never ... Consider SMS on your cell phone. No one predicted texting would become the primary means of communications for many.

And go back nearly 150 years to the birth of the telephone. At the time, Bell took his invention to Western Union. They reasoned that telegrams had a written record of what was communicated and the telephone didn't yet work over long distance. They passed on the patent saying the famous phrase "Who'd want to talk on a piece of wire, anyway." One the of the eight great blunders of all time.

Just avoid a bunch of operators arguing or you could wind up with a Gomez Adam's scene ;)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Well, that could be fun, as long as I'm just a spectator. :p:p
Well I watched the Adams Family in my elementary school days. And the train scene was always a favorite. There was film of only one actual "crash"; reused in all the train scenes. But I digress ... Flipping through the channels I come across the 1991 movie remake of the show - just when the train scene begins.

You gents want realistic interiors, this video brings a whole new level to that concept. At the 1:45 mark.

·
Hobo for Life
6,100 Posts
Ok i have 2 coments.

And thats how the supper chuffer was created.

Or

Stop posting Gomez , I mean GRJ , home movies.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts